Your Best Cheap Pipe; Here's Mine; Let's See Yours!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
3 Fresh Becker Pipes
12 Fresh Rossi Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Can't Leave
@gord If its ebony it will likely be your heaviest pipe. While it is dark it does not look like ebony to me. Id have to see it in a better photo that showed the grain. I really dont trust any materials list from budget sellers in asia. Its the land of no regulation.
It is my heaviest pipe of that size, by quite a margin. But I agree with your statement further, and wouldn't be limiting it to Asia. Ethics don't seem to rule anywhere at present.

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
While "best" pipe is subjective and changes with time, at the present I would give that pronouncement on this old Marxman Captain. Marxman pipes were inexpensive and built to fit a niche, beginning back in the 30's but today they are known as very ugly pipes. That is a discussion for another time, but this particular pipe cost me $15 and smokes like an absolute dream....

Marxman Captain a.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’d gladly double your return on that investment!😉
Hardly an investment, it can't even pass a pipe cleaner. For the longest time it was a toolbox pipe for work now I keep it in my storage building for yard work. Like other Dunhills I've owned, not worth the price of admission. I'd have to look though, it may have gotten culled the last time I was clearing out the less used pipes a few days ago.

Last edited:

gord

Can't Leave
While "best" pipe is subjective and changes with time, at the present I would give that pronouncement on this old Marxman Captain. Marxman pipes were inexpensive and built to fit a niche, beginning back in the 30's but today they are known as very ugly pipes. That is a discussion for another time, but this particular pipe cost me $15 and smokes like an absolute dream....

View attachment 336236
It is indeed an ugly little sucker, but in a loveable way. Like my 20 year old Shih-Tsu Ricoh. . He's totally blind and deaf, (has been for 3 years) stinks like a compost heap, is disobedient as all get out, but he still loves to eat, sleep, dump, urinate on my feet as I sit down and read, and he disobays 95% of leash commands, whether he falls down the steps or not. Oh yeah, he's ugly, too.

But I wouldn't trade him, sell him, pitch him out or gas him. He's one of a kind. I never wanted him in the first place, but when he was 6, a friend who was getting divorced gave him to me because the place that she moved to with her kids wouldn't take pets. After trying several other people, she told me that if I can't take him, she'll have to put him down. The rest is history.

So I understand the true meaning of ugly! Enjoy that ugly little pipe and don't let anybody tell you to throw it away. I wouldn't either.

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Set a Time Machine for 50yrs ago😆
My dad bought it at Iwan Ries when I was a wee lad.
It’s a Decatur, and I’ve seen similar for sale on eBay and such. I’ve yet to see one that spins with slots for nine plus the cleaner holder, and rarely if ever do they have the correct jar and lid.
Sobrbiker, have you ever visited Iwan Ries in Chicago?? It is on my bucket list of shops to visit some day. I have a pretty cool visual of what it will look like.

Reactions: anotherbob

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Sobrbiker, have you ever visited Iwan Ries in Chicago?? It is on my bucket list of shops to visit some day. I have a pretty cool visual of what it will look like.
I have not. I was 2-3 years old when we lived in Glenview and my father worked in Chicago (1968-70). He frequented them often then continued to do so for many years into the seventies after he was transferred to Arizona, every time he had to fly back to the main offices.
I’d like to, but haven’t found myself in Chicago since pre-inheriting his pipes a couple years ago.
Their service is excellent-when I first got the rack, I contacted them to see if they might have a new seal for the jar, and although not in their computer, the associate helping me looked for half an hour through their storage but couldn’t find any old stock.

Reactions: Choatecav

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My best cheap pipe is an old Dr. Grabow Savoy billiard (yellow spade in stem) which I did not want at the time but was included in a bundle with two Falcon billiards that I did want. The Savoy acquitted itself nicely, though, and has proved to be a "magic pipe" that beautifully smokes whatever tobacco I charge its bowl with.

Last edited:

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
marksman.jpeg
My first Marxman, pre hellabalou Briar Lee, was this 6 Panel pipe, probably a post 54 Marxman made by MasterCraft who took them over. The vulcanite is very cheap and I broke the top of the stem at the bit when I was opening the draw. Because the pipe smoke so well, I took the time to glue it back with black CS glue and sand the finish to the point that one can not tell it ever broke. For whatever reason, this is a very good smoking pipe. It now has a "racing car" draw and it has the ability to smoke tobacco as well as any of my other pipes.

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I have not. I was 2-3 years old when we lived in Glenview and my father worked in Chicago (1968-70). He frequented them often then continued to do so for many years into the seventies after he was transferred to Arizona, every time he had to fly back to the main offices.
I’d like to, but haven’t found myself in Chicago since pre-inheriting his pipes a couple years ago.
Their service is excellent-when I first got the rack, I contacted them to see if they might have a new seal for the jar, and although not in their computer, the associate helping me looked for half an hour through their storage but couldn’t find any old stock.
Cool story. I know that the pipes and tobacco that I have ordered from them is always handled with the greatest of customer service of anyplace I have dealt with. I have always thought that it harkens back to an older time when the "customer was king." Sure miss those days.

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
View attachment 336322
My first Marxman, pre hellabalou Briar Lee, was this 6 Panel pipe, probably a post 54 Marxman made by MasterCraft who took them over. The vulcanite is very cheap and I broke the top of the stem at the bit when I was opening the draw. Because the pipe smoke so well, I took the time to glue it back with black CS glue and sand the finish to the point that one can not tell it ever broke. For whatever reason, this is a very good smoking pipe. It now has a "racing car" draw and it has the ability to smoke tobacco as well as any of my other pipes.
Whoa..... I love the six panel design. I'll bet it does smoke great.

• Love
Reactions: gord and telescopes

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
We now fondly coll it Uncle Henry Miller, after the famed pipe smoking neighbourhood grouch in the old Dennis the Menace comic strip. If you remember this, man are you dated lol.
Well, I am of a certain age 😁

I grew up on a diet of Beano comics and (the English) Dennis the Menace and his dog, Gnasher

As well as the US version by Hank Ketcham.
Loved Walter Matthau in the role as his grumpy old neighbour in the films