PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love 'em all. Such faces. There's an article in the NYT science section today about a scientific study about how cats bond with people even more than food or toys. Cat owners know that, but scientists had to do a study, and having worked for decades with scientists, I understand. Our animals study us and know all, or too much. We have an engineer cat who opens latched doors etc.; a little female who lived a lot outdoors and raised three kittens when she was nearly a kitten herself, and a poet cat who forgets what he's doing and leaves one hind paw raised in the air, but has ornate emotional bonding. Grew up with a black spaniel dog (mixed) who was strong and powerful way beyond his size, who swam through the ice, insisted upon it under penalty of showering you with ice water. He had a long coat but no fat and his eyes pulsated with fire.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and lawdawg

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
This is Sybil the poodle. When Mrs. Hap informed me I would be buying her a poodle, I was far from enthusiastic and assumed it would be a, well... girly dog. But we've really bonded and now I'm hooked on the breed.

View attachment 3714
They are the consummate field dog. Our first dog, from the pound, was thought to be a Wirehair pointer and later we found a listing of Poodle Pointers and believe she was one.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
My daughter picked out Brittany Spaniel last month at the pound, that had his owner pass away. I have no idea what he went through, whether he was trapped in a house with a body or what, but because my daughter had to work the day the pound would release him to her, I went to pick him up. So, they sent me in to get him, but his kennel was empty. The lady at the pound said that the computer shows him in there, but I just shrugged. So, she went in with me. To both of us, his kennel looked empty, but as we stood there, we noticed the slow rise and fall of the bedding in his kennel. All of the other dogs were barking and going nuts, as they always do in the pound, but this dog had covered himself up with a blanket and crawled under the bedding, looking like the kennel was empty. She said no other dog had ever done this that she knew of.

But, my daughter named him Alfie, and I am tasked with training him. He was easy to house break, as he probably already was. But, I have him trained, somewhat on walking with a lead, and next we will work on flushing to turn him into a proper bird dog. He is not gun shy at all, which is surprising, seeing how he was terrified in the kennel.

My (my wife's) regular dog is a puggle, which sets at my feet while I smoke. But, since Alfie will only be with us for a few more months as my daughter is getting ready to move out, I will be getting me a couple of bird dogs also. Then we can go hunting together, maybe next year.

But, he is a super sweet dog, and already shows a natural birding tendency.
davw1397-jpg.3699

View attachment 3700

View attachment 3701
Cosmic, Envy you getting the bird dogs. Please post pictures when you get them, even better with some game.

Trying to figure out what she is. We were told border collie mix???? And we are thinking spaniel, pointer mix.
Maybe someone can help me guess based off these pictures!

... @cosmicfolklore
The hunting spaniels are actually overlapped with the pointer groups. None of them are true groups, but the ears are more of what I think of as pointer ears. Beautiful dog.

I used to have a terrier mix that would bring me rabbits all day... and balls, baseballs, basketballs, bowling balls (no kidding) no ball left outside was safe in my neighborhood. But, we would bag rabbits all day also. He was the smartest dog I have ever had.

Reactions: Bengel

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The hunting spaniels are actually overlapped with the pointer groups. None of them are true groups, but the ears are more of what I think of as pointer ears. Beautiful dog.

I used to have a terrier mix that would bring me rabbits all day... and balls, baseballs, basketballs, bowling balls (no kidding) no ball left outside was safe in my neighborhood. But, we would bag rabbits all day also. He was the smartest dog I have ever had.
That's hilarious! She loves to play ball too. And has killed a bird already. However she is obsessed with my in-laws cat. Will not leave it alone, and will point at it all day (literally obsessed) if we let her. We can't break her of her focus, when she spots the damn cat. And the cat has batted at our other big dog, and since has had no issues with him, but their cat is terrified of Luna.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I think my sink is clogged.

Big Head Todd showed up one day, thin as a rail with a head comically way too big for his body. In his year with us, he has since remedied that head-body proportioning issue by eating everything in sight. He is one of several feline occupants here.

Status
Not open for further replies.