PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
lawdawg, your cat strums the strings of my heart, since I had a much beloved orange tabby, mine perhaps mostly Absynnian loving rain and being water resistant, wonderful animal lost too soon to FIV. But brave and affectionate all the way. Once you learn cat etiquette, most cats are not aloof. They identify strongly to their people and study us in excruciating detail and know more about us than we know about ourselves. My wife's little cat from Long Island was a walk-on addition, probably dropped by the side of the road as a kitten, and our two boys were rescued as kittens out of a drainpipe in a town called Fuqua-Varina, so all rescues. I say the largest lie in the English language is Free Kitten. Our gray Maine Coon looking cat is snoozing beside me on the desk.

+1000 on the "free kitten" issue! I sometimes call our cat the Grand Feline, and "grand" is not a reference to his social rank or level of dignity puf

Also agreed about cat aloofness and etiquette. Like many cats, he definitely keeps to himself at times, but is also very social. You've just got to let them come and go as they please, and they'll get comfortable around you over time.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
This is Wilson, a Brittany and probably the last gun dog I’ll ever own. I retired him after our last grouse and woodcock hunt last year. Now he’s inside all the time, the wife and kids spoiling him rotten and getting him fat. But he’s earned it. Best dog I’ve ever had and I’ve known quite a few.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
She,whom is the center of the universe. The most precious one...
3LsbwL8.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Faithful and loyal. Even in times of exceedingly Campfire smelling English tobaccos, when everyone else leaves the ManCave (aptly named "The Briar Patch"), they never leave my side.

LOL ... very cute, but they both look very unhappy with the cameraman.

Reactions: sandollars

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Great companions all!
The Great Dane looks like he wants the MM Great Dane in that first picture ;)
Lots more out there, get those cameras "clicking"

My daughter picked out Brittany Spaniel last month at the pound, that had his owner pass away. I have no idea what he went through, whether he was trapped in a house with a body or what, but because my daughter had to work the day the pound would release him to her, I went to pick him up. So, they sent me in to get him, but his kennel was empty. The lady at the pound said that the computer shows him in there, but I just shrugged. So, she went in with me. To both of us, his kennel looked empty, but as we stood there, we noticed the slow rise and fall of the bedding in his kennel. All of the other dogs were barking and going nuts, as they always do in the pound, but this dog had covered himself up with a blanket and crawled under the bedding, looking like the kennel was empty. She said no other dog had ever done this that she knew of.

But, my daughter named him Alfie, and I am tasked with training him. He was easy to house break, as he probably already was. But, I have him trained, somewhat on walking with a lead, and next we will work on flushing to turn him into a proper bird dog. He is not gun shy at all, which is surprising, seeing how he was terrified in the kennel.

My (my wife's) regular dog is a puggle, which sets at my feet while I smoke. But, since Alfie will only be with us for a few more months as my daughter is getting ready to move out, I will be getting me a couple of bird dogs also. Then we can go hunting together, maybe next year.

But, he is a super sweet dog, and already shows a natural birding tendency.
davw1397-jpg.3699

Attachments

• DAVW1397.JPG
    DAVW1397.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 165
Status
Not open for further replies.