PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
When I met my girlfriend 3 years ago I didn't smoke a pipe, but had previously smoked cigarettes and have since switched to electronic cigarettes when I can't use my pipe.
I picked up my pipe this March. My girlfriend always told me she hates cigarettes, but doesn't care that I smoke a pipe.
While she despises cigarettes, and even though she doesn't mind my pipe, I wondered what the difference was. I tried asking her why she hates cigarettes and not a pipe. She is a Korean woman (I live in South Korea) and sometimes has a hard time explaining to me what she thinks because of our language barrier.I haven't got a straight answer yet from her, but she hasn't told me to stop. I lit up a cigarette one time a few years ago and she didn't talk to me for the rest of the evening.
My question is, what is your atmosphere like when it comes to you, your pipe and your special someone? (for those of you that have one)
P.S- I always make her smell newly opened tins of tobacco hoping she will like one of them, but every blend from VA's to aromatics she always say they smell the same.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
My wife appreciates the pipe most days. She's even smoked a pipe a couple of times, but usually prefers a cigar. If I smoke too much I may get a very rare earful, but that's about it. She buys me pipes and helps me pick pipes. She even checks my quality when I make a pipe and is quick to point out flaws before I am finished for good with it.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
My German wife has no problem with me smoking a pipe. She has said she wouldn't mind me smoking inside, but I don't want to push it and do all my smoking outside. Like your girlfriend my wife doesn't like cigarettes. Cigarettes seem more like just getting fix to her while she perceives pipe smoking as having more class and smelling a lot nicer. She said pipes suit me. I hadn't smoked a pipe in a long time when I told her I might like to take it up again. She had no problem with that and even encouraged it a bit.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
My wife used to smoke cigarettes, but quit for me. I can't stand cigarette smoke. It bothers my allergies, while pipe smoking does not. It's hard to pinpoint, but cigarette smoke, no matter what brand, smells bad to me. It really has no good smells to it at all, unlike cigars or pipes tobacco. I grew up with a father that smoked cigarettes all the time, and I grew to detest them. If I'm in too much of it, I will feel like crap the next few days on account of my allergies. Really not sure why smoking a pipe doesn't bother me as much, but that's just how it is. She likes the smell of most of the tobaccos that I smoke. She rarely smells of one she doesn't like. Most of the time, I'm sitting on my back porch at night smoking a bowl while she sits inside and crochets or does what she likes. She's joined me out on the porch when I smoke and doesn't mind it one bit. She'd more than likely let me enjoy indoors if I wanted to, but I prefer to keep it outside, just because I don't want people coming into the house and having to endure smokey smells thy didn't bargain for, and we do like to have company over from time to time. I prefer the house to smell clean or like apple and cinnamon in the fall/winter, not tobacco.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
My wife has said I can smoke inside but she is mildly asthmatic so I keep my smoking inside to a minimum and usually just in my study. The rest of the time it’s outside or in my car as I’m driving around all day for work.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
cigarette smoke, no matter what brand, smells bad to me.
So much this. I like cigars and I love pipes, but cigarette smoke is disgusting.
One caveat: I like the smell of clove cigarettes, but I don't think that counts.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine is indifferent. I smoke indoors and she occasionally buys me pipes and tobacco.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My wife was a huge supporter of my pipe smoking. I smoked in my den and she rarely complained. She was a rarity and a gem.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My wife could care less what I do. I mean, I could start smoking crack and she wouldn't care. She knows I'm a man and will do as I please. I try to be thoughtful with my decisions though, which is why I choose not to smoke crack.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
My wife doesn’t mind me smoking at all. Occasionally she will tell me to keep my spending in check but that’s about it. She usually sits with me while I smoke, and we will sometimes share a pipe or cigar. I guess her biggest critique of my favorite pastime is that I don’t smoke anything that smells like vanilla. Her friends dad used to smoke in the car and she remembers how good their car used to smell.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think a life partner comes before recreational habits, but I've been lucky. My late wife had a heavy cigarette habit, and when she quit that, I quit pipes in solidarity. Anything to keep her off the nails. Her final illness, incidentally, has no known connection to her cigarette habit. My present wife had a heavy Camels and Galoise habit years ago, but quit, and tolerates my moderate pipe smoking and buys me beautiful pipes and incredibly fine picks on bends (I don't know how she does that). But if it came to that, I'd cater to my partner. However, I'd work at understanding your wife's opinions on your smoking as an exercise in developing communications around the language barrier. It will help on other subjects in the long run.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
My wife doesn't have a problem with my pipe and occasional cigar, she does hate the smell of cigarettes, and I've found a couple pipe blends that she's not a huge fan of, but otherwise I have free reign to smoke around her outside, I smoke in my shop, cars and in my office. She's not a huge fan of it in the house, so I smoke in my office with the door shut and sealed with the window cracked.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
My wife doesn't express her opinion unless I'm smoking a blend that causes her some discomfort. To be honest I think she'd rather I smoke cigarettes. She is a cigarette smoker.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
My SO is not into pipes (rolls eyes). She doesn't get it, but understands the need to have hobbies and interests. She was never a smoker and can't stand the smell of anything burning, pipes or otherwise. Thankfully, she's very sweet and understanding.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
My fiancée and I have lived together for 5 years. She is an exercise fanatic and has never smoked (ever). She will never understand why anyone would smoke anything or eat unhealthy and she has no addictive personality whatsoever. But God bless her, she completely understands my love of pipes and cigars. She puts up with it just fine and often tells me to have a pipe when I'm anxious. She just knows I'm a calmer person after a bowl. But, I always shower after a smoke because I know she hates the smell of anything tobacco. I do that in return. It's weird, and many of my pipe friends laugh that I shower so much, but it's a small trade off.
I shop with her for shoes and purses and clothes and she loves the time spent doing that. I have no problem giving back. Her biggest issue with pipe smoking is that it takes "time away" from her. She likes to just sit and watch t.v. and talk. So when I'm smoking she calls it my other girlfriend in a joking way. I know she doesn't like it when I go upstairs because it means I will be gone for a while. She often texts me when I'm smoking, lol.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
My wife says the she simply loves the look of pleasure that comes over my face when I light up, and the relaxed expression as I smoke.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I sit beside a reversing fan that (mostly) vents the smoke from my pipe. My wife doesn't love it and complains about my breath but she doesn't comment unless I smoke "too much" or someone else comments and she sees an opportunity to pile on. I know she's critical of my very moderate pipe and cigar smoking out of concern for my health so i respect her for keeping her counsel as much as she does.

Status
Not open for further replies.