PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
"Codger" blends are also referred to as "drugstore" or "OTC" blends. One gent I used to share a forum with referred to the old time American burley blends - Prince Al, Carter Hall, Granger, etc - as the "American classics".

• Love
Reactions: ray47 and reloader
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
codger /ˈkɒdʒə/​
NOUN (informal) a man, esp an old or eccentric one: a term of affection or mild derision (often in the phrase old codger)​
[C18: probably variant of cadger]

Hardly anything in that definition limiting the term to rough old men.
Definition of codger: See OP
Just sayin......

• Haha
Reactions: olkofri

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I don’t mind the term codger, it connotes a degree of hard earned experience and discernment, it takes more than smoking codger blends to be a codger, nor are codgers limited to only codger blends.

• Love
Reactions: vosBghos

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
On at least one Facebook page, many posters have referred to Capt Black, Half / Half and some others as "Codger" tobacco. Now, I'm the furthest thing from a snowflake, and have about the thickest skin as any elephant but that term, "codger" really irritates me.
I grew up with dad occasionally smoking CB, and now at 53 yrs old, I enjoy those mild brands along with many of the aromatics. But a codger (to me) is an old grey bearded and scruffy cowboy or a miner panning for gold (or similar tv & movie looking characters).
Are those of us who smoke Prince Albert really codgers or is a tobacco that's been around for 50 years like Capt Black really codger tobacco by definition?

Signed - "Seeking the fountain of pipe youth
I’m not a fan of the word as a descriptor of tobacco blends because it seems to focus exclusively on American over-the-counter blends. If that’s what’s being discussed, that’s fine. But if we really mean any OTC blend—sold and enjoyed in any country—then I think “OTC” is more inclusive.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I'll be 50 soon and celebrating with a new Grabow and a tub of PA.
I already smoke Five Brothers daily and have been grey since my late 30s.
Some say I was born old.
I have been cantankerous all my life so I guess if the shoe fits.
For me, an offense can only be given never taken, just words a label or stereotype fits or doesn't I guess.
LONG LIVE THE CODGERS

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Codger blend is a term meaning something that our father and grandfathers smoked. It isn't saying anything about you. I certainly qualify as a codger (76) but smoking a codger blend is open to everything one of us who is 21 and older.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Are those of us who smoke Prince Albert really codgers or is a tobacco that's been around for 50 years like Capt Black really codger tobacco by definition?
Codger by definition, at least the blend is, just another term for OTC, or Drugstore blend. You'll find it in about a thousand threads, spread out over decades worth of writing, representing about a milenia's worth, or more, of life experience with pipe smoking. Personally I don't care two steamers about debating this one.

You're welcome to define it any way you like. It's the current fashion to just make shit up to please one's sense of self entitlement. Just don't expect the world to agree, or even notice. They're all busy making up shit as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The linguistic judo of the terms codger or geezer goes like this. Take it as a term of endearment. If somewhat younger or much younger people are so lucky as to get to this advanced age, especially with lifespans decreasing in the "first world," they may count it a blessing, or at least as a pleasant surprise.

I like many up-market blends and have my small supply of McClelland, GLP, SPC, Dunhill blends, C&D limited editions, and such. But I throughly and regularly enjoy Sir Walter Raleigh regular and aromatic, Granger, D&R two-timer, Ohm Red burley with Turkish, which I'd classify as classic, if not OTC or codger.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'll be 50 soon and celebrating with a new Grabow and a tub of PA.
I already smoke Five Brothers daily and have been grey since my late 30s.
Some say I was born old.
I have been cantankerous all my life so I guess if the shoe fits.
For me, an offense can only be given never taken, just words a label or stereotype fits or doesn't I guess.
LONG LIVE THE CODGERS
Has Five Brothers changed much over the years?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I feel like they mainly get called OTC (over the counter) blends.

And of course you disagree with us all, it is absolutely your right...........as a codger!

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I also see codger blends as OTC blends that have been around for a long time. I don’t see the term codger as overly negative, rather more the recognition of experience and practice that is based on that experience. There are all kinds of personalities behind the first layer of crustiness that may be there. Many of them very willing to share the wisdom that has been accumulated. Embrace the status.