60 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 25, 2023
On at least one Facebook page, many posters have referred to Capt Black, Half / Half and some others as "Codger" tobacco. Now, I'm the furthest thing from a snowflake, and have about the thickest skin as any elephant but that term, "codger" really irritates me.
I grew up with dad occasionally smoking CB, and now at 53 yrs old, I enjoy those mild brands along with many of the aromatics. But a codger (to me) is an old grey bearded and scruffy cowboy or a miner panning for gold (or similar tv & movie looking characters).
Are those of us who smoke Prince Albert really codgers or is a tobacco that's been around for 50 years like Capt Black really codger tobacco by definition?

Signed - "Seeking the fountain of pipe youth"

Reactions: LeafErikson
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I would say it's a codger blend on two reasons. One, a lot of older pipe smoker's (codgers) have been smoking it forever, and two, the blend has been around forever putting it at the status equivalent of a codger. ;)
I smoke Capt. Black and at times SWR but I'm definitely not a codger, but I still think of them as codger blends.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
When I think of a codger I think of a pipe loaded with more cake than the bakery section of your local grocer. This endearing codger has no idea that you can purchase tobacco online, and has been smoking the same blend from the Rite Aid down the street for 40 years. When they stopped carrying his beloved captain black at the Rite Aid, he switched over to Carter Hall and smoked that for the next 10 years. This codger also has no idea that forums like this exist and would likely find the entire concept hilarious. That’s a codger.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
referred to Capt Black, Half / Half and some others as "Codger" tobacco
They are

Are those of us who smoke Prince Albert really codgers
Yes

is a tobacco that's been around for 50 years like Capt Black really codger tobacco by definition?
Yes

Seeking the fountain of pipe youth
No such thing. You're over 50 and nearing the Senior age demographic, own it!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Over 50 ✅

Irritable ✅

Likes mild OTC burley blends smoked by previous generations ✅

Congratulations, you're a codger, accept it and enjoy. Yelling at kids to get off your lawn is even better when smoking Prince Albert
Over 50 ✅

Irritable ✅

Likes mild OTC burley blends smoked by previous generations
What's with this mild shit? Real Codgers smoke Old Joe Krantz ✅

GET OFF MY LAWN PUNK!!!

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I wouldn't take offense from the term just because I liked mass-market brands. I mean, I like Carter Hall, and I'm a fresh young lad of 75 or so. In the unlikely event that someone called me a codger, I'd wear the label with pride, right after beating him senseless with my blackthorn.

I jest. The point is, it's a useful term, applied with affection to those sages of the pipe smoking endeavor here who are much more experienced and knowledgeable than the usual prick who has been smoking for two weeks or so. They must be deferred to, not only for their judgment, but for their matinee-idol good looks. You can tell when you run into one by an aura they exude, sort of like that of a demi-god, or a wino.

All this may be debatable, of course, but one thing I do know for a fact is that they WILL accept money sent to them with no strings attached. Ditto for top shelf bourbon.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I won't worry about being a codger. Just because a blend is preferred by grumpy old men, it does not mean that all people who smoke the blend are codgers. There are plenty of hipsters who like to smoke a pipe; however, I am not a hipster because I smoke a pipe.

Of course, by being concerned about a blend being called a codger blend and being mildly offended with the distinction, you are getting awfully close to codger mindset. Please know I say this in jest. :ROFLMAO:

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I'm 29 and at this point I've pretty much only smoked codgers, most recently I've tried Half & Half. I only took up pipe smoking this year, I have several ounces of various bulk blends I'm going to be trying soon. My B&M focuses on cigars (which is what I started with), but they have about 20 or so bulk blends. My goal is to try as many as possible to get a feel for what styles I like best in order to make educated choices when I buy some tins next time I'm in a city that has a place that sells tins.

The term codger blend is quant to me, to me it illustrates the difference between the old school pipe smokers and the new school ones. It evokes a time when fine tobacco wasn't persecuted and many guys were loyal to one brand because that's all their general store had. Besides, to most people pipe smoking is seen as an inherently old man activity. So many people have no idea it enjoyed something of a Renaissance in this century that continues to this day despite ever increasing nanny state laws.

Mar 25, 2023
I would say it's a codger blend on two reasons. One, a lot of older pipe smoker's (codgers) have been smoking it forever, and two, the blend has been around forever putting it at the status equivalent of a codger. ;)
I smoke Capt. Black and at times SWR but I'm definitely not a codger, but I still think of them as codger blends.
So are you a codger if you are older and smoke CB? What is "older?"