You Have HOW Many Pipes? (New G.L. Pease Article)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
It's hard when there is a tobacco that is rarely available or limited and a pipe that's perfect for you in every way. You know it's gonna get snatched up quick but when you have the money its no biggie. I hate that

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@admin thanks Kevin, really nice article! 👍

Also, thank you very much @glpease for all you’ve brought to the pipe world, and especially your blends! ❤️

By the way, I was going to post a comment at the article, but it wanted me to login, and took me to a Wordpress page, while I was logged in to the forum. hmm 🤔

Getting back into pipes almost 3 years ago, from originally getting into it, in the mid 80s, I remember back then I quickly got excited about pipes and started buying a few.

My first Freehand was a Ben Wade, when Preben Holm was alive and making them. Now that, was a really beautiful Freehand I wish I kept, but I quit back then.

I think anyone that really has a love for the pipe world is going to be attracted by all these shiny toys! LOL 😆

Well, I really started to sink in quick on TAD, but I’ll be honest, I wanted to go down the road on some Estates collecting, but the insane high prices on the pipes just turned me off.

Now, TAD is dead in me, sure, I love to look at pipes and admire them, but the spark of buying lots of pipes, from all sorts of makers and various styles, I could give a hoot about now.

I’m actually more excited about searching the world of tobacco out there and finding good blends. Let’s face it, if you don’t enjoy what you smoke, well, so much for the pipe.

I have only 7 pipes, 4 Briar, 1 Meerschaum and 2 Cobs. But I’m not smoking cobs anymore, so now I only smoke 5 pipes.

For the past 3 years, I’ve been looking at pipes daily online, at many sites around the world and Instagram. Now, all I really care for is one fairly unique Castello, and a unique commission from one of the small carvers out there in the world, still haven’t figured out who.

I can actually be happy with my 5 pipes, minus the cobs, if it’s all I could ever afford from here on out.

I also saw this as a serious addiction, and I didn’t want to be a part of the indulgence like this, it’s not my thing, I’m a smoker, not a collector.

I’m also a gypsy and traveler by nature, so I don’t like to be tied down to anything, and when it’s time to retire, I’ll be travelling the world with the Mrs, the rest of our life’s, so how the heck am I suppose to travel with a 100 pipes and 20 pounds of tobacco, nope not me... LOL 😆

Here’s my pipes... :)

I’m satisfied because at least I have some pipe history here, and I guess, some is better than none. So I’m really happy to have these few examples of the pipe world.

2021 Bay Denmark Apple with bamboo and cumberland stem.

6D8173F2-7C11-4EFA-8AEA-D4EBD4E3C4CD.jpeg

1931-1967 BBB Wyteway Billiard with a vulcanite stem.

79DCED86-EF23-4279-B9E8-C024A188B2FC.jpeg

Dr. Grabow: Commodore 65 Zulu, dated from 1967-1969, vulcanite stem, metal screw-in tenon, no stinger.

EED9BFA6-908F-4EA0-9267-12BAF30EBA20.jpeg

2020 Radice Rind Straight

C3F9D505-A270-4D29-8E67-640841A37630.jpeg

1901 Sam McLardy & Co. Meerschaum with a vulcanite stem.

64745BF8-5DB8-4907-AB38-71D11D4F297A.jpeg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Solid article Greg!

“ More and more of the pipes in my collection began to take on some sort of emotional value. I’ve mentioned in the past that pipes can be talismans of events, or even more importantly, of people. Recently, I was reminded of an old friend who sold me a very special Castello 55 from his own collection. He is no longer with us, but that pipe will always remind me of him, of his vast knowledge, freely shared, of Castello pipes.”

So many of the pipes in my collection come with memories of collectors and the great collections they came from.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I, too, cannot part with pipes and no doubt have too many now. But, I do believe there is a functional limit to how many pipes one should obtain Greg might think it's fine to keep a pipe around that he might smoke once a year or so. But, for me, the mark is once every 3 weeks. If you have too many pipes to accomplish that mark with every pipe, time to stop buying them.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
That was a great read. Always enjoy Greg's article. This one was interesting though, as it hit closer to home.
I have many pipes to thin out, yet never bring myself to do it. I will say I've improved - I buy less, and I buy more carefully.

Reactions: PipeIT

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Two nights ago I finally cleared out a 6 pipe rack that was full. It was a hard decision, but now I have room to buy pipes I'll actually smoke.

Im planning on 3's. Basically because that's how my stands are spaced out.
I have 3 cobs, 3 kaywoodies, and 2 sets of 3 meerschaums 😉. But I only have 2 Rossi's, and now I'm down to two Savinelli Punto oros. I have room for one more of each. 👍 That is, if I decide to put my meers on that stand. If not, I have room for 8 pipes 😉