You Have HOW Many Pipes? (New G.L. Pease Article)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Greg has the excuse of being a professional, so if pipes have taken over a room or two in his residence and/or work place, well that's business. I've teetered on that edge for years, and have actually culled the herd in an orderly way from time to time.

I'd never want to give up pipes given to me as gifts or won in a couple of contests. Other pipes have other stories. Some are just too damned good smokers to relinquish.

I donated some pipes to active duty service people through a military chaplain who was a member here. I've given a group of pipes to a friend who wanted them as decor despite his quitting his Lucky Strike habit. I've traded in a few lots to SP for store credit for a pipe I wanted more.

So far, I've kept the count below 100 smokeable pipes. I have a few oddball items that really don't count because they really don't smoke.

It feels good to have it under control, to a degree. I don't want good smoking pipes to constitute clutter or be a guilty burden. But it's still a pleasure to go into my pipe store at home and choose one of many to enjoy.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You don't stand a chance against the forces of evil. I've only got 60-65 pipes and I feel the constant urge to buy more of them. And I know I have too many pipes but what are you to do?? Thin the herd?? What a crock of foolishness that is. As Greg says in the article "This delusional strategy worked just fine. Until it didn’t." So, I decided to leave them to my son, who doesn't smoke, with a note on how much each is roughly worth. Let him worry about it.

pipesbywoo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2023
Los Angeles
www.etsy.com
I’m all done with TAD. All cellared up. But this PAD is a virulent strain.

Just two more BBB’s
I currently suffer from acute TAD but my PAD is under control.
In the past, I collected estate pipes (mostly Peterson, GBD, Savinelli, and Sasieni) but decided two years ago to reduce the count down to about twenty-five. The goal was to own just the ones I smoked regularly or had sentimental value to me. I also started becoming interested in artisan pipes and liked the idea of owning a few unique pieces rather than more factory pipes.
In the past year, I've acquired two new pipes that I have not smoked yet (not counting my own shop pipes that didn't make the cut for sale) but spent more than enough on tobacco...