PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohiba007

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2018
Orlando FL
Are you constantly changing pipes in between bowls or just repacking the same pipe then resting the pipe after a day full of smoking?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm currently on a meerschaum coloring jag; and I smoke the same pipe practically all day, every day. It rests only when I'm sleeping. When I go back to the briars it will be only one bowl per pipe as it comes up in the 30+ pipe rotation.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
On the days I go into the office where I smoke more than usual, I'll smoke 5-6 bowls in a day. I usually smoke a briar a couple bowls back to back and then switch to another. My meer on the other hand gets smoked until I get itchy for another pipe, anywhere from a single bowl to multiple bowls for multiple days straight.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I smoke 3-4 pipes per day and smoke 4-7 bowls per pipe depending on bowl size. When I smoke flakes, it's fewer bowls per pipe because ribbon cut burns faster.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Are you constantly changing pipes in between bowls or just repacking the same pipe then resting the pipe after a day full of smoking?
Some of each! I do tend to use a different pipe when they're handy, but have also smoked a half dozen bowls back to back, esp with a meer.

Sep 18, 2015
I don’t get to six very often either, the pipes I consider my ‘working’ pipes will have three to five bowls a day run thru em sometimes several day in a row, then off for a few weeks.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I don't make 6+ bowls a day, but do get in 3-4 on average. I have a Bruce Weaver sandblasted Brandy that is my first smoke every morning (365 days a year), and after each smoke I swab out the bowl with a paper towel and set it back in my rack for the next morning. I've had that "magic" pipe since 2008.
I have about a dozen other pipes that get in a rotation of every day or two or three. I don't smoke the same pipe twice in one day though. Personal history dictates that none of my regular rotation pipes can perform at their absolute best without a little drying out time.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I usually switch to a different pipe after two bowls. Not hard set rules but that seems to be my tendency

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I easily smoke 6 to 8 bowls a day when I'm off work. 2 to 4 bowls a day when I am working. Weird schedule for me. I work 14 days on then 14 days off.
Same pipe all day when I'm working. Rotate to a new pipe everyday.
When I'm off, 2 pipes a day. One cob and one briar. 3 to 4 bowls each.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm real moderate, a bowl or two a day with days off. But I always change pipes because I have a lot of them, and I want to keep them all smoked. So I never re-pack a pipe after a bowl, but always move on to another. This isn't related to concern about over-using pipes, but underusing the ones I have.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like this. Going to try it with a couple of beater pipes next time I'm off.
I've done this for decades with my artisan commissions all the way through my cobs. Clean them after each smoke and they're fine.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Clean them after each smoke and they're fine
Yeah, I definitely do run a couple of pipe cleaners through and wipe out the bowl between smokes. Clean the rim with a little saliva, and wipe the outside down with a cloth.
Sometimes, I'll smoke back to back bowls and that's when I usually reach for a cob while the briar rests for an hour or two. So far, so good!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Most of my smoking is in my man cave. I rarely smoke the same pipe twice in the same day. If I'm out or traveling, I may smoke the same pipe two to four times.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
If I'm out and about, I carry 3 or 4 pipes with me and change between smokes mostly to let them cool and dry a bit. Never had a problem. At the house, I try and work my way thru my small collection, about 35 or so pipes so seldom back to back but not really that much thought about back to back smokes. If it is a long smoke, I chose a big bowl. I do have 4 or 5 pipes I just prefer to smoke for reasons I've never really thought about.

Status
Not open for further replies.