You Can Literally Use the Word Literally, Literally Anyway You Want?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
"And look where that went! He should have just done it in his dictionary right off and forced it on the masses!"

It wasn't necessary for him to do it, the masses opted for that route anyway. Compare labour/labor, honour/honor, flavour/flavor, neighbour/neighbor.....the list goes on.

Regards,

Jay.?
Its a small step only. They just regionalized the spelling. They spent too much time around the French in the US so those Hs are silent. We would need naybor, onor, urb, flayvor, etc. lol.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
You want to talk of embarrassment? Ok, after years of working in the construction industry, I talk like a native Tennessean. My wife and I were in Penzance for less than 24 hours and I already started shifting into "all roight, then" and "another pint, love." I guess I'm a chameleon? Or a poser. Take your pick
I think we’re all a bit of both. Lol. I think it’s what they call “code switching” now.

Reactions: edger

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
And, in my profession, I have to change the spelling when I want to see examples or find tutorials from Europe, "jewelry" or "jewellery"... Jeweller, Jewelled, Jewelling... it's interesting how things evolved.
But I noticed none of them are “jewlery” which is how many people (mid)pronounce it. I also hear a lot of “nucular” when they mean “nuclear”. I also find interesting the number of people that pronounce “height” with a “th” sound at the end. “Hithe”

• Love
Reactions: edger

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Often times for me, I can't "see" the errors until I actually publish them"

Telescopes, you do know of course that 'oftentimes' is one word don't you?

"And, just about everyone mispronounces Wednesday and restaurant."

Mike, the same applies to February, library, parliament, secretary etc.

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.