You Can Literally Use the Word Literally, Literally Anyway You Want?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
"And look where that went! He should have just done it in his dictionary right off and forced it on the masses!"

It wasn't necessary for him to do it, the masses opted for that route anyway. Compare labour/labor, honour/honor, flavour/flavor, neighbour/neighbor.....the list goes on.

Regards,

Jay.?
And, in my profession, I have to change the spelling when I want to see examples or find tutorials from Europe, "jewelry" or "jewellery"... Jeweller, Jewelled, Jewelling... it's interesting how things evolved.

Reactions: ofafeather

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
When I was a kid, people around me didn't use the slang "cool." So, hearing it being said in movies and TV just sounded weird to me, and then as soon as I adjusted to it, the 80's brought us the use of the word "hot" to mean the exact same thing, ha ha.
And now we have "hawt" and "kewl." Reckon the oldheads just need to get good.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Speaking on behalf of grammar nazis as a professional grammar nazi myself, the strangle misuse of using object pronouns as the subject of sentences has been a battle I fear will never be won:" Me and her have fought that battle for too many years!"

Sadly, to compound grammatical idiocy, the younger generation is insisting that everyone publicly announce their own personal pronouns - not because they ever cared to use pronouns correctly in the first place, but because they have discovered a new way to use grammar to enforce and propagate their political agenda of gender neutrality - whatever? Right? You know what I mean?

I rebel. I told my employers my personal pronouns are either beep, bop, and boop or if they find these "ones" confusing, thee, thou, and thine.

Thank goodness, I retire in four months.

telescopes

Sometimes, when I am feeling ornery, I'll ask the knucklehead of the moment the following question, "Mrs. Jones has a car. Not an exceptionally nice one, but it does belong to her. If I were to write about the car in question and refer to car by adding the words Mrs. Jones preceding the word car, how should I correctly punctuate the words Mrs. Jones.

Few can ever answer correctly. Fewer can correctly state why the correct answer is in fact correct or what the purpose and role of an apostrophe is when it comes to creating a possessive noun. It is an argument for the ages.

telescopes

I'm sorry. I just couldn't help it.
I would hate for my old English teacher to read my posts I make on this tiny little SE iPhone. It's like using sausages to pound out a message on a micro-typewriter, ha ha. I make typos in almost every post.
Yes, and the edit a post feature on this site doesn't always allow you to repair any damages you may discover after hitting the post reply button.

Reactions: edger

telescopes

I think he gives us five seconds after we hit post to edit, ha ha. So, read it quickly.
Yes, I've noticed. For a site that has in its rules admonitions to use correct grammar, having a little more time to repair mistakes would be helpful. Often times for me, I can't "see" the errors until I actually publish them. I wouldn't want to tell you how many times I had to "fix" mistakes in my doctoral dissertation when I went through that process decades ago. It was expensive to ...ready..."say the least". I fear I won't be able to help myself now. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Reactions: edger
Yes, I've noticed. For a site that has in its rules admonitions to use correct grammar, having a little more time to repair mistakes would be helpful. Often times for me, I can't "see" the errors until I actually publish them. I wouldn't want to tell you how many times I had to "fix" mistakes in my doctoral dissertation when I went through that process decades ago. It was expensive to ...ready..."say the least". I fear I won't be able to help myself now. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
I had to go through the same. I like to tell people who ask me about it that it is just like being flogged by wet noodles for two years, ha ha.

I don't think our moderators comb our posts with a fine comb. The rule is mainly for those who leave their caps key locked or folks that just exclude punctuation or capitalization altogether. We get a few...

Now, thread titles are a different story. If they aren't capitalized in the correct fashion, it brings down the whole site's score in the search engines, and Kevin works hard to keep the forum in the first few results when someone searches for things that we discuss on here.

Reactions: Kottan
Aug 1, 2012
Sometimes, when I am feeling ornery, I'll ask the knucklehead of the moment the following question, "Mrs. Jones has a car. Not an exceptionally nice one, but it does belong to her. If I were to write about the car in question and refer to car by adding the words Mrs. Jones preceding the word car, how should I correctly punctuate the words Mrs. Jones.

Few can ever answer correctly. Fewer can correctly state why the correct answer is in fact correct or what the purpose and role of an apostrophe is when it comes to creating a possessive noun. It is an argument for the ages.
If that first paragraph didn't have two punctuation mistakes that were immediately apparent to me, I would find it markedly less humorous.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.