PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
The guy or gal probably put cigar torch light to it. I'm sure it can be plugged, but I don't know about matching the original color.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
giphy.gif
In my neck of the woods, they are like rocks at a quarry. Pick the one that tickles your fancy.04618D8C-58A4-498D-81A7-E8A8162B532F.jpeg

Reactions: Brew&Briar

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
It seems that a rather large proportion of color pipes that comes up on an eB search for Grabows look like they've been burnt out the side. At least, those times I've searched it while looking for a Grabow Freehand I don't have.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
A few years ago someone on here stripped the finish off of one and the grain was incredible. Who can say what they were thinking in 1971?
Have you ever seen those crazy ”hippie” psychedelic pipes that glow in the dark that someone used to sell?

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I have a pipe like that, a Cassano "Ambra." Story from the shop that gave it to me was, a guy bought three pipes, a week apart, and brought each back, calling them 'defective' and just buying a replacement rather than asking for a refund. On the 3rd (this one) the employee demanded to know what he was doing to them! He insisted he was using 'a pipe lighter.' After much argument back and forth, it turned out he had assumed anything with a straight flame was a pipe lighter. He'd bought a pen torch from a convenience store, and a week's smoking bored straight through the wall. This was from the Bellevue, WA Tinder Box, at least 15 years ago.

The Tacoma, WA Tinder Box has one of those natural-finish Erik Nordings on display to which someone did the same thing.

Swampdragon, mind describing those psychedelic pipes? There's a smoke shop in Seattle that has several pipes with a matte painted finish. The paint is airbrushed, some are neon green and blue, some blue, some pink, with swirly silver lines. They're probably UV-responsive, they're hideously ugly, and I'd totally buy one just to display if they weren't like fifty bucks! They've had them for the whole 15+ years I've been going in, but the numbers have gone down slowly, so someone is buying 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.