PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I have a pipe like that, a Cassano "Ambra." Story from the shop that gave it to me was, a guy bought three pipes, a week apart, and brought each back, calling them 'defective' and just buying a replacement rather than asking for a refund. On the 3rd (this one) the employee demanded to know what he was doing to them! He insisted he was using 'a pipe lighter.' After much argument back and forth, it turned out he had assumed anything with a straight flame was a pipe lighter. He'd bought a pen torch from a convenience store, and a week's smoking bored straight through the wall. This was from the Bellevue, WA Tinder Box, at least 15 years ago.

The Tacoma, WA Tinder Box has one of those natural-finish Erik Nordings on display to which someone did the same thing.

Swampdragon, mind describing those psychedelic pipes? There's a smoke shop in Seattle that has several pipes with a matte painted finish. The paint is airbrushed, some are neon green and blue, some blue, some pink, with swirly silver lines. They're probably UV-responsive, they're hideously ugly, and I'd totally buy one just to display if they weren't like fifty bucks! They've had them for the whole 15+ years I've been going in, but the numbers have gone down slowly, so someone is buying 'em!
I can not remember them well enough to describe them. They are like a bad car accident. It is best to forget and hope that a nightmare does not replay down the pike. I always wondered if other things were not intended to be smoked in them instead of tobacco.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That's what I love about this board! If a brother is in need people step up to help!

Mike, welcome to the burn out club!

Definitely a nice gesture, and hopefully I have something good to report soon.

Also that burned out pipe isn't mine, I found it on eBay. I'm not sure I would have the courage to post up a picture if I did something like that to a pipe!

• Haha
Reactions: bnichols23

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I always wondered if other things were not intended to be smoked in them instead of tobacco.
The ones I was talking about, the neon colors, aren't like those cheap pipes one finds in cigarettes shops that seem to be wood-grain-colored polymer and have a philips-head screw in the bottom of the bowl. These are briar and are built like a normal pipe. Without the ugly paint job, they'd be basic basket pipes. As to whether people are actually using them for tobacco, I can't say, but the same shop does sell lots of products designed for other popular smokable substances. And I don't only mean shisha, though they do sell a lot of hookahs. Their meerschaum numbers have gone down over the years, too, and I really hope those weren't bought for other usage!

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
The ones I was talking about, the neon colors, aren't like those cheap pipes one finds in cigarettes shops that seem to be wood-grain-colored polymer and have a philips-head screw in the bottom of the bowl. These are briar and are built like a normal pipe. Without the ugly paint job, they'd be basic basket pipes. As to whether people are actually using them for tobacco, I can't say, but the same shop does sell lots of products designed for other popular smokable substances. And I don't only mean shisha, though they do sell a lot of hookahs. Their meerschaum numbers have gone down over the years, too, and I really hope those weren't bought for other usage!
I remember that back in my youth an older neighbor caught his hippie son smoking the other green thing in his old pipe. What a scandal!

Reactions: bnichols23
Status
Not open for further replies.