SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Has anyone watched this British show Sharpe that takes places during the Napoleonic wars? It's both campy without being overly silly and rather interesting historically--it also features a young Brian Cox. Reminds me a bit of some old American western show (like the Rifleman) crossed with a soap opera. I also like the off kilter electric guitar infused soundtrack.

Jan 27, 2020
It’s pretty good. You’re description is pretty much spot on.

I enjoy shows on BritBox and Acorn.

The only American show I currently watch is Elementary of Amazon Prime

Yea, so many American shows are just trash compared to British ones, especially when they try to remake them. Do you have any recommendations similar to Sharpe? I'm not sure how I even found it but this and Pie In The Sky are currently my favorite British shows which I haven't watched before and both aren't on any "best of British television" lists I've read.

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
Survivors 1975. An old show and probably the template for the Walking Dead. Once you get over the creaky aesthetics and washed out 70's video quality, it can be very engaging, once you get into it. Some quality writing.

Some super virus get spilled in a biolab the Far East. It is deadly and sweeps the Earth of the human population. The remnant of England struggle to make it. Many well thought out prepper scenarios and issues are presented here.

The Tripods: Aliens conquer Earth in an attack that lasts seconds and reduces humanity to a race of slaves and simpletons to prevent humans fighting back, Humans are limited to low IQ, low ambition and 15th century technology. One young man seeks to find out the truth of what happened.

Last edited:

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Has anyone watched this British show Sharpe that takes places during the Napoleonic wars? It's both campy without being overly silly and rather interesting historically--it also features a young Brian Cox. Reminds me a bit of some old American western show (like the Rifleman) crossed with a soap opera. I also like the off kilter electric guitar infused soundtrack.

@puff_not_snuff

Sable turned me onto it... I really liked The Royale, which is set in early 20th century hospital, where the head surgeon smokes a pipe constantly, even in surgery he has an assistant to hold his pipe from time to time. He even does a couple of lifesaving procedures with his pipe. A really good show.

We tried to watch a few other series on BritBox, but even with the CC turned on, I just couldn't follow the dialog. They really should overdub them in English, for the American audiences. puffy

Reactions: RonB

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York

Mentions Brian Cox... Ignores Sean Bean as the title character... lol. Funny story Sharp was originally played by Paul McGann (The 8th Doctor in Doctor Who). He hurt himself playing football (soccer) with the director during filming and was recast with Bean taking the role.

Jan 27, 2020
Mentions Brian Cox... Ignores Sean Bean as the title character... lol. Funny story Sharp was originally played by Paul McGann (The 8th Doctor in Doctor Who). He hurt himself playing football (soccer) with the director during filming and was recast with Bean taking the role.

Lol. Hilarious. Lol.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As an aside, when I lived in Sheffield there was a lad called Sean Bean in the year below me at school. His father worked as a jobbing actor who appeared mostly in TV ads.

So, when this actor Sean Bean (who is also from Sheffield) came onto the scene many years later I naturally assumed it was the very same guy, he was shorter than average in stature as was the kid at school and with such an unusual name it had to be him right?

No, I did some basic searches and found it was not the same Sean Bean.

Small world eh?

Regards,

Jay.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Sable turned me onto it... I really liked The Royale, which is set in early 20th century hospital, where the head surgeon smokes a pipe constantly, even in surgery he has an assistant to hold his pipe from time to time. He even does a couple of lifesaving procedures with his pipe. A really good show.

We tried to watch a few other series on BritBox, but even with the CC turned on, I just couldn't follow the dialog. They really should overdub them in English, for the American audiences. puffy
I second The Royale it is very well done and there is the pipe smoking that is a nice feature.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
I've only watched bits and pieces of Sharpe, but I picked up the first book in the series a few years back and after reading it became obsessed! I read the whole series through in order and enjoyed it thoroughly! It might be time to do the same with the t.v. series, the bit of campiness only adding a bit of "spice" for my tastes!

Reactions: puff_not_snuff