PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

java3

Lurker
Jan 13, 2018
Hello everyone, new guy here been smoking a pipe for about a year now. I started after i found a picture of myself at 4 yrs old smoking my Dads pipe. He past away in January, and just away to relax and remember
Welcome to the forum and sympathy regarding your Dad for sure. I lost mine around 95 and he was a bonafide pipe smoker. I am originally from Illinois (no, not Chicago) but, I wouldn't mind moving back to So. Ill, TN, or AL. I'm on the MN/Canadian border now and my bones are chilled.
Pipe Collector 34

Reactions: maulragoth
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Welcome to the forum and sympathy regarding your Dad for sure. I lost mine around 95 and he was a bonafide pipe smoker. I am originally from Illinois (no, not Chicago) but, I wouldn't mind moving back to So. Ill, TN, or AL. I'm on the MN/Canadian border now and my bones are chilled.
Pipe Collector 34
Illinois is in sad shape these day I am with you on the th or al

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Illinois has been leading the nation in one thing -- population outflow. It's not exactly a stampede yet, but folks hightailing it out of here. I would definitely leave if my kids and grandkids weren't all here. I'm fed up.

comica1584279218501.jpg

"Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman"

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Illinois has been leading the nation in one thing -- population outflow. It's not exactly a stampede yet, but folks hightailing it out of here. I would definitely leave if my kids and grandkids weren't all here. I'm fed up.

View attachment 22619

"Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman"
Absolutely if I wasn't so secure with the same job for 15yrs I would be long gone. But when you have a wife and three daughters you tend to play it safe

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Absolutely if I wasn't so secure with the same job for 15yrs I would be long gone. But when you have a wife and three daughters you tend to play it safe
I was in EXACTLY the same position as you. Now all three daughters are grown and married and we're all still in the Chicago area. I used to be proud to be from IL. But the truth is that when former Indiana governor Mitch Daniels said the following on WLS radio a few years ago, he was absolutely correct:

"Oh you guys are nothing if not entertaining over there [in Illinois]. It’s like living next door to ‘The Simpsons’, you know the dysfunctional family down the block?"

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
After the heated political discussion today I will be taking a break for awhile. I didn't join this forum for politics. I joined to get info on pipes so I will be back when things have calmed down thank you or the tips and stay smokey

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
alaska', I've never attended a high school class reunion, since it was such a huge class, 999, and I doubted my particular friends would make it. However, I have from time to time sent entries to the little class newsletter and been riveted by the strange varieties of life experience my classmates have had. One kid who played football spent his whole life as a fishing guide on the Great Lakes; actually, I knew him a little. Another guy (wait for it) did wax heads for deceased people with some kind of extreme injury so they could have open casket funerals, apparently a whole career niche. The home coming queen turned out to be some kind of literary writer, and the captain of the wrestling team has been married about six times. Whatever resentment I felt being something of an outsider (and didn't most of us feel that way?) has faded into a kind of appreciation, especially now that some of the class has died. Such, as they say, is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.