PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All this said, a little over a year ago, I located at tobaccopipes.com a new briar Yello-Bole in the Checker series, I guess it is a straight pot, for under thirty dollars, if I recall, that is a good smoker. It is not large, but it is a well-drilled push bit pipe made of materials of reasonable quality. I do not know if it is a series produced in limited numbers, or if it was part of an old inventory, since now all of the Yello-Boles I see are brylon pipes. Since these are difficult to locate, I recommended the Chapuis-Comoy pipes in my earlier post.

Sep 7, 2018
Hello old thread. Welcome back to life.
I agree - don't go with a new Yello Bole! Brylon was used 1965 onward, stay away from it!
On the shank, if it reads "Honey Cured Briar" it's 1933 to 1936

If it reads "Cured with Real Honey" it's after 1938
Does anyone know this to be true? I recently paid $5 for a Yello-Bole at an antique store. It Is in really decent shape, the bit isn't the tightest but it fits fine. Oh, and the stinger. It is marked "KBB" on the shank along with "HoneyCuredBriar". Am I to believe this estate is from 1933-1936?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I recently got a Yello-bole. Barely warm to the touch.
20180808_021348.jpg

Sep 7, 2018
That's a nice looking pipe Ember, however, there is no brylon here. Only 1933-1936 honey cured briar. The stamping if nearly gone from the years but it has the KBB clover and says "honey cured briar". I've smoked 2 bowls from it and so far so good.
Pictures of Pipe

rollinrich11

Lurker
Aug 25, 2018
I guess I would say that being new and reading a lot from much of you experienced smokers, I would agree that briar is one of the best ways to go. I have pear root, one Brylon, tons of briar and a morta that I haven’t finished yet. Retail value of my upper end of briars would be in the thousands. I have found that if you follow the advice on some of the post for estate pipes and really be critical on eBay, you can find some awesome deals on estates.
3AGly9W.jpg

Savinelli de luxe Milano 128 for 17.00. PAD is a real thing when you find these on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.