How long have you been smoking pipes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I smoked cigarettes from 1996 to 2015 then unexpectedly I made the abrupt switch to cigars. I joined a forum to learn about cigars and I really enjoyed the online comradererie with other smokers. Through that I was intrigued by the pipe and March of 2016 I tried my first bowl. I'm about 80% pipes 20% cigars now.

Reactions: saintpeter

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Some old hats here fo sho!

Started Fall of ‘07 technically, but didn’t really feel like I knew what I was doing (cobs & briars) until ~Spring ‘09. Truthfully I probably still don’t know WTF I’m doing lol.

For me, 2008 was rife with crisped tongue, anger, frustration, and the occasional fleeting “oh $hiz this is good” moments.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't want to be caught fibbing, so I checked "before fire was invented," but with some long stretches of non-smoking, to support my late wife in quitting cigarettes, and other stretches. But occasional or more regular smoking goes back to the nineteen-seventies. I owned six or eight pipes, and kept them when non-smoking ... a smart move if I do say so. My earliest hand carved pipe is from a N.C. carver, Jerry Perry, and is dated 2002. I have three racks and a cabinet of pipes, maybe a dozen high-end (to my point of view) but all bought carefully and worthy, to my mind. Quite a few of mine are gifts, including from members; my gift pipes are especially esteemed.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I would like to thank all who have (and will) participate in this poll. Yes, it was a serious poll. It has allowed me to better understand where my fellow pipe smokers here are “coming from.” The first selection was not in any way, shape nor form intended as a slam. We all had to start somewhere and I am saddened more votes were not in that category as they represent the new blood coming into the hobby/lifestyle/craft. The last was for those who honestly have been a pipe smoker so long they don’t care to add it all up.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Started in spring of 1973. some years later I tried out a couple of boxes of Nat Sherman's Turkish Ovals. Smoked cigars when working outdoors off and on as both hands are often needed. Went a few years with perhaps 1 or 2 bowls a month, but thankfully that's over and done with.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Got my first pipe in 1997 from Tinder Box. I smoked like a codger back in the day, just using one pipe at a time. Started buying more and collecting in 2010. Now have 100 pipes and 150 lbs of tobacco.

• Wow

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I bought my first briar pipe from Owl Drugstore in Wagoner, Oklahoma when I was a junior in high school. That was 1958 and have smoked a pipe(s) off and on ever since. So that's 61 years and counting. Keeping it smokey as Fishbanjo would say.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
At the ripe old age of 15, via some inventive shenanigans, I acquired a no name Algerian briar basket pipe, and some VA/Bur/Lat blends that didn't fry my tongue. With a brief cigar only break, we're up to 23 years.

• Haha

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
First pipe was around 18 or 19, which was around 15 years ago. Stopped smoking at around... 21 or so, and now I'm back full steam ahead since October.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
So, just to clarify, it's a poll on how long I have been smoking, right? Not how many years I've been smoking pole?
A poll for how many years, even on and off, you have been smoking a pipe. I think many have taken breaks, changed to cigarettes or cigars for a while and such. For the poll it is just the years of piping added together.

Status
Not open for further replies.