How long have you been smoking pipes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, the 'gnards. A colleague in the Vets Office at NCSU, a infantry officer, had worked/fought with them in 'Nam. My colleague was a Hawaiian, Chinese/Polynesian, and a practitioner of oral history. Later when I'd talk to non-Hawaiians about the place, they thought I'd grown up there, so well had my friend indoctrinated me. I did live for a while on Midway Island, but that is a thousand miles from the islands as we think of them, though it is part of the chain.

Reactions: saintpeter

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Just this year. I was in LA going after my sworn enemy. At the last moment as I was about to let him fall to his death, I saw the beauty in life and pulled him back up. As it started to rain, I told him “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe are true. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.” And I thought “I bet I’d be less tense if I smoked a pipe!” So we went off to the local tobacco shop and bought pipes and sampled blends and we been bestest pals ever since.

no wait, that was how Rutger Hauer started pipe smoking. I just tried one of my uncles pipes when I was 15 or 16 forty or so years ago.

pharmpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2019
On and off I have about six years, maybe seven. That is spread out over a 20 year period.
Of course I've been hitting the coffin nails for 25+ years, so if any health consequences come my way I doubt I can blame the briar. :(

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
At age nineteen, after leaving home for my freshman year in college, I got a MM corn cob and an ounce of an aromatic tobacco from the local tobacco shop. That pipe still see use four years later, though I don't much care for aromatics anymore

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Smoked a few years in college then picked it up a few years ago with 12 years in between save a few bowls here and there. The few years in college was all Captain Black and pretty rough! I had no idea what end was what. I think it adds up to 4-5 but I don’t know.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Just this year. I was in LA going after my sworn enemy. At the last moment as I was about to let him fall to his death, I saw the beauty in life and pulled him back up. As it started to rain, I told him “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe are true. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.” And I thought “I bet I’d be less tense if I smoked a pipe!” So we went off to the local tobacco shop and bought pipes and sampled blends and we been bestest pals ever since.

no wait, that was how Rutger Hauer started pipe smoking. I just tried one of my uncles pipes when I was 15 or 16 forty or so years ago.
My favorite scene in my favorite movie. Bravo!

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
My father gave me a pipe when I was 14, in 1960.
I've been smoking pipes ever since, going on 60 years.

i love seeing seasoned smokers like you! If I get 60 years of enjoyable smoking, that will take me to 107 years old, at which time I will happily accept whatever fate befalls me :) I lead a very clean/healthy lifestyle. Pipes are my one vice. I am still very new, so we’ll see if I fully commit to it. But I do enjoy this lost art. I don’t anticipate smoking more than 2-3 bowls per week.

Cheers

Reactions: dino and saintpeter

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Since 1971 with the occasional break, so about 47-8 years. Gave up the coffin nails in 1983. We had a lot less choices back then, but the choices we had were pretty good! Balkan Sobranie that was actually made by Sobranie, Dunhill tobaccos that were actually made by Dunhill, lots of superb local tobacco blends and lots of tobacconists from which to choose.
Back then you could smoke just about anywhere. Times have changed. I remember when the smoking ban in restaurants went into effect. There was a nice Italian restaurant down the block from where Warner Animation was located and we would often end up there after we quit for the day, enjoying a drink at the bar and having a great meal. On the last evening before the ban went into effect, I went into the bar and took a seat while waiting for my co-workers to show up for dinner. The waitress came by to take my order and asked where my pipe was. I told her I had it on me but didn't want to smoke it in the restaurant as I was aware that some customers objected to it. She and the bartender begged me to light it up as they loved the aroma and this would be the last night. So I loaded up a bowl and fired it up and she delivered my order and just stood there enjoying the aroma one last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.