PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WirelessSmoke

Might Stick Around
Jul 14, 2024
New England
About 11 months in.
16 Blends
18 vessels 12 Jars, 4 Pouches, (2 unopened tins are duplicates for 2 of the jars).
11 Pipes

Only 7 pipes in rotation for me right now. The 4 unsmoked pipes are two in a travel kit I haven't used, and 2 extras for an interested friend, family member or neighbor to try.

I'm planning visit to WCC next week, so all above numbers are subject to change!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have nothing against bulk, but I prefer tins. Once I get caught up, there will be more new stuff to try. There's some stuff I really love and if it came down to it, could smoke just those few. But I like exploring different things. I just don't have the space to store any more.

Anyway, the tins are good because even if I end up loving something enough to buy it in bulk, I won't ever get around to smoking it with over 100 other different blends waiting to be tried at my current rate of smoking (1 bowl per day). I can't just pick up the pipe for 5-10 minutes at a time, if I pick it up, I want the whole bowl and to sit and relax, it's not something I can do while doing other things.

Though if they ever succeed in various cigarette legislations they want to do (like banning menthol), I might have to learn and start getting bulk of stuff I like that can be all-day smokes and switch exclusively to pipes, still do my exploration whole bowl relax time once a day, but then bulk the rest of the day. I really don't want to give up cigarettes though.

crowbait

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2023
Alberta, Canada
It's one I made... er am making. It's not done, just the core functionality (right now trying to get the UI set before working on stats feature beyond what I put there). Probably won't be done for a while, will never be cross-platform (will be Android only), likely won't even be for devices other than phones (like, not for tablets).

I'm not a developer, just wanted something that didn't exist so I learned enough to (slowly) make it myself.
Super interesting. You sparked my interest but I wouldn't even know where to begin on that front. Are you thinking its a full collection inventory or whats your goal?

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Super interesting. You sparked my interest but I wouldn't even know where to begin on that front. Are you thinking its a full collection inventory or whats your goal?
Keeping track of everything... mostly what I have ever had, whether or not I disliked something, what I do and don't currently have, maybe if I have notes on some blends, etc. But it's not about like, keeping track of each individual tin and the date it was manufactured vs bought vs open, not about tracking exact quantities (like oz and lbs), not about how my taste changes over time.

The main thing is keeping track of what is in my cellar, what has ever been in there before... basically just about tracking what I have tried or have bought to try, not monitoring dates and stock and not what I plan to buy in the future (aka wishlist), just only what I actually have or have had. Stats are just an interesting side curiosity that's easier to implement and see because it's a database as opposed to a spreadsheet (not that you can't implement stats with spreadsheets, it's just easier with database), and there's also quick and easy lookup with filtering that's not possible with spreadsheets in the way it is with a database.

Each entry has values for brand, blend, type, quantity, whether or not it's a favorite or I disliked it, and notes, though all fields other than brand/blend are optional.

It's also about ease of adding new and updating existing stuff, and about ease of use on a phone so that I don't have to fire up the computer to keep track of stuff.

Though I have planned/implemented things that I don't necessarily care about that much that others might, in the event I share it (for free) when it's done. Also because figuring out how to do some things is fun (like a logical puzzle)... for instance, creating a CSV import/export wizard for it. But I am unsure about sharing it when finished because I don't want people complaining that, for example, blend types is just limited to 5 broad categories (english, aro, burley, va, other) and not and specific subgenres (like VaPer, VaOr, etc), or lacking date tracking functions, lacking fields for including individual ingredients, complaining that it's not available for iPhone, complaining about Chinese spying for some reason even though it doesn't access the Internet at all and just being general fuddy-duddy Luddites and one-upsmanship bragging about how much they don't care or think it's stupid that someone does, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: emac.917

crowbait

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2023
Alberta, Canada
Bumping this thread again just to see if there is any more interest on particpating. Big thanks to the 36 of you who have already. Much appreciated

Years of pipe smoking is at your discretion and how you personally define it.
Number of pipes is the number of smokeable pipes (even if they are unsmoked displays, cheapos or horrid smokers)
Number of Tobaccos is two fold.
1. # of different tobaccos, excluding multples of the same
2. # of vessels of tobacco in your collection/cellar

Pipes and tobacco counts are what you currently have on hand in your personal collection (or incoming the mail).

For me its:
18 years;
22.5 pipes (half pipe is an extra bowl for the Falcon);
25 blends in;
39 vessels (tins/pouches/jars etc)

Your turn!

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
20ish years
93 Pipes if you count the 2 new ones I have inbound

These are ballparks (I still have a bunch I need to enter into the inventory
53 Blends currently in inventory (Probably closer to 75 80 total)
203 Vessels in inventory (Probably closer to 275-300 total)

About 40-50 Pounds of tobacco total.

Reactions: crowbait

crowbait

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2023
Alberta, Canada
20ish years
93 Pipes if you count the 2 new ones I have inbound

These are ballparks (I still have a bunch I need to enter into the inventory
53 Blends currently in inventory (Probably closer to 75 80 total)
203 Vessels in inventory (Probably closer to 275-300 total)

About 40-50 Pounds of tobacco total.
I'd say you should pick up 7 more pipes.. hit that century mark since you're so close. 😁