Ye Olde Tobacconist Shoppe, The Way Things Once Were (image heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Terrific photos! Makes one think that if one B&M would do an "old school" window display it could be a real business booster.
Or, bring down the wrath of the ignorant, one or the other.
I especially enjoyed the interior shot... Long row of cabinets down each wall with a "bar counter" to hold plenty of stock and encourage a lively discussion with one of the shopkeepers.
I do miss that the most.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Really wonderful photos, Misterlowercase. I love those pics of the past. They tell us another story of another time when life was slower-paced and less intruded upon.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I fantasize that if I was a millionaire, and didn't have to worry about just putting food on the table and paying the mortgage, I would open a tobacco shop and model it after one of these old ones we've just had the pleasure of looking at. Price everything to just barely above cost in order to provide the pipers the best price that a B&M could offer. Shoot, if I had deep enough pockets, it would be worth it just to keep it open to provide people a place to come in and talk, and enjoy a smoke, even if it was operating at a loss each year. I know that's a pipe dream, but it's nice to think about. Mom and pop businesses just can't compete against the big boys, B&M that is. Wouldn't it be great to be able to return to a sense of community, built around one or several of these kinds of establishments?........Ok, I've woken up now.....return to reality, self.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well said davidintexas. “Mom & Pop businesses” used to be the norm when we had something resembling an actual free market system. Monopolistic Corporatism changed all that.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
makes me wish I could have been around back then! Thanks for posting, I love these photos!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
What a great trip down a memory lane I have never experienced. The history buff in me laughed at the "Mussolini shot at" sign and the piper in me wished I could stroll down Market St in Philadelphia and see stores like that.
Great post sir. You made my 2013 Christmas Cheer taste that much better tonight.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
What a great trip down a memory lane I have never experienced. The history buff in me laughed at the "Mussolini shot at" sign and the piper in me wished I could stroll down Market St in Philadelphia and see stores like that.
Great post sir. You made my 2013 Christmas Cheer taste that much better tonight.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Makes me wish I could turn back the clock.....to a bygone era!

Thanks for the great post misterlowercase.....your a CAPITAL guy....lol!

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for posting. I could imagine going into some of those shops and like and old book store getting lost for hours looking at everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.