PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Jinhaos are great value. Their "Big Red" knock-off is my go-to for the last 8 months.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Looking forward to the X159.
Much improved from the 159.
Much lighter, bigger nib, better clip. Hope its good.

Jinhao's are so cheap. But not nasty.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Funny seeing this thread pop up. I just spent a bunch of time yesterday cleaning and filling pens. I noticed I don’t have any green inks. That only leads in one direction...

Reactions: vates

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Completely went digital. I like fountain pen and writing on paper, but those are for leisure activity. When I need to log things like appointments, insulin count, carb count.. Simple key punch into phone works faster for me. Of course, that means if phone breaks or run out of battery, I'm shit out of luck. I need to start backing up.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've used C. R. Gibsons for many, many years. A habit I got into when I was a copper. My "scene notes" were written on top bound spiral notebooks as I could submit pages when subpoenaed as opposed to the entire book. Daily briefing notes, addresses, observations, investment info/research and the rare diary-like entry went into the leather bound journal. I've got hundreds organized by dates. There's is probably a "Wambaughesque" book or two there which will never see the light of day.

Reactions: edger and Zero

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Looking for a reason to bump this thread for the new members.

@Flatfish What do you use the notebook for?
At the moment there are two notebook inserts in it.

The first is a sort of journal where I write down anything interesting that might have happened during the day. Will be nice looking back to see what life was like as the kids were growing up.

The other insert I have open when I do my daily bible reading.
I don't summarise what I have read, but if there is anything that stands out, or I find interesting, I write it in. Helps me to concentrate and learn a bit.

The Jinhao X159 did arrived. Black with silver trim. Really like it. Also ordered the dark blue with gold trim which is even prettier.

Nib was too dry on both, but Jibhao's are perfect for nib tweaking.

Also ordered the little Jinhao 82 but it is too small to be comfortable. Ok for smaller hands or as a pocket pen. Definately a much cheaper and better looking alternative to the Kaweco Sport.

Reactions: didimauw
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I really like pens, I’m far too cripplingly left handed to use fountain pens so I stick with ball point. I mainly use fisher space pens. When I made the pipe shank briar pens I had bought a three pack of Gatsby pen kits, I only needed two so I had one left over.

I had a couple of very tiny corn cobs that had been given to me by the late @ejames, so I stabilized them with lacquer and turned it down for a pen barrel. It took a lot of lacquer to get corn cob hard enough to polish.
This is the pen I use everyday now.A24D0C72-2D11-4E7E-8C7B-71ADCB3673C4.jpeg

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I was very serious about journaling for about ten years. My go-to tools were (mostly) Rhodia notebooks (amazing paper) and (always) a fine point Sharpie pen. The practice became suddenly unhelpful a couple years ago and I let it go. I’ve been meaning to go back and read all my journals as a personal project.

I still take notes all the time and fill up those thin paper Moleskine notebooks. I’m drowning in quotes and forget which ones are where.

Someone mentioned it being hard to begin writing in a new book. Something I found helpful was to start on the second page rather than the first.

I gave a teacher friend a really nice journal once that suited her style well. I could tell by the way she looked at it and admired it that she was probably never going to muster up the nerve to write in it. I bet she never has.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Rhodia paper is very fountain pen friendly. They even make a bullet journal now, they call it Goalbook. I’ve recently become a fan of TWISBI pens. ClairFontaine also makes a good spiral bound book. Good for bible study notes. I’ve also got a whole bunch of new inks. I’m digging on Pilot Irishizuku inks, Noodlers and Diamine. Loves me some fountain pens!

Reactions: JackOrion

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
image.jpg
Funny thing, I just received an order today of three 3”x4” pocket note pads. They are great for grocery and fly tying material lists.
Rhodia’s paper quality is about as good as I’ve found and they come in dot pattern paper. I really like dots over lines, graph or blank. They also offer an extensive amount of sizes and formats. Construction quality is excellent. Highly recommend.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Rhodia paper is very fountain pen friendly. They even make a bullet journal now, they call it Goalbook. I’ve recently become a fan of TWISBI pens. ClairFontaine also makes a good spiral bound book. Good for bible study notes. I’ve also got a whole bunch of new inks. I’m digging on Pilot Irishizuku inks, Noodlers and Diamine. Loves me some fountain pens!
I love my TWSBI eco, it's my best writer. Thinking about a mini next. I just worry about it cracking. So many stories. It's actually the only thing I ever see about them these days unfortunately.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most organization of my time, I try to keep short and in small print on a hardcopy monthly calendar, and for that and other writing chores, a Zebra ballpoint pen works best for me. I enjoy writing more elegantly with a fountain pen, gel tip, or Sharpie, but I write notes to myself a lot on the fly.

For more expansive expository writing or literary efforts, I have now taken mostly to the keyboard, which is sort of a shame since I don't find much of a home with technology otherwise, but for letting the thoughts flow, it works best.

For many years I loved the percussion of a portable manual typewriter, the decisive sound of hammering keys and the ding of the bell at the end of the line. But then I'd have to translate it all digitally, and I'd rather just use that energy for rewriting, not transcribing.

I have a notebook fetish too, but I find unique or deluxe notebooks can make me self-conscious. Sometimes I have to write on a yellow legal pad or often something even more bare bones like a steno, a composition book, a recycled envelope, or patch of paper folded up in my wallet. Once I capture the thought, the accompanying context can follow.

Walking can give my writing a push, sometimes driving, sometimes just choring around because I'd rather be writing and things come to mind. It's all process. Nothing is ever finished, especially when it's finished.