PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I've got to look into getting a notebook and start jotting down notes. I have post-it notes and scraps of paper all over my desk.

Question: Do any of you date your entries? Daily, occasionally, never?
In my new notebook I started a few days ago, I already have a project started, recipes, to do lists, quotes I like, and words I learned. Hahaha

Reactions: vates
I had to scan the posts to see if I had posted my sketchbook. Did and done.
But, I got my grandfather's pocketbooks when he died. It was in with a box of other stuff. It is interesting that he kept up with everything he leant and borrowed, seed corn, tractor tires, posts, tools, wire, who borrowed what and when. It was as close to a business ledger a farmer would probably have kept. I imagine him out on the tractor with Mr. Menefee stopping to ask if he has any extra posts he can borrow, and him taking out that pipe and pocketbook, and saying, "Ted, I see that you've still got to pay me back for fifteen pounds of cotton seed, and bring back my horse trailer, and we'll talk."

Reactions: petes03 and jpmcwjr

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I had to scan the posts to see if I had posted my sketchbook. Did and done.
But, I got my grandfather's pocketbooks when he died. It was in with a box of other stuff. It is interesting that he kept up with everything he leant and borrowed, seed corn, tractor tires, posts, tools, wire, who borrowed what and when. It was as close to a business ledger a farmer would probably have kept. I imagine him out on the tractor with Mr. Menefee stopping to ask if he has any extra posts he can borrow, and him taking out that pipe and pocketbook, and saying, "Ted, I see that you've still got to pay me back for fifteen pounds of cotton seed, and bring back my horse trailer, and we'll talk."
Oh come on, no pictures???

Pics or it didn't happen!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
@MacMarty89

Saw your post of your diaries. Be nice to have more pics of it in here, along with your pens!

My collection of pens and notebooks is growing rapidly. Still using field notes and a parker Jotter pen daily though. Yet I keep buying other pens.

PXL_20220416_220952058.jpgPXL_20220416_221003609.jpg

My wife can never know what I've spent on some of my pens. She thinks 10 dollars is too much for a pen.

Reactions: scloyd

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I would love to write more, but if I write a note to my wife she has to either get the enigma decoder from the athic, ask a Egyptologist what these hieroglyphs mean or pull a viking from his ships grave what in rhunes name is on that piece of paper. And I'm not even a MD! I have been in catholic school where I learned to write and they really didn't want to learn people how to write lefthanded which is a sign of the devil. I'm a lefty when kicking a ball, I throw left handed, I can ride boot feet on the back on a snowboard and skateboard at the same skill, my youngest is left dominant.

In my field of work we did a lot with handwriting and paper, nowadays we eliminated 99.9% of paper and pens are only devices to chew on.

• Haha
Reactions: petes03 and jpmcwjr
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Just a few I've found and/or restored including a couple '42 Parker 51's and a matching pencil. The others are 1930-1955 Esterbooks, and a '53 Sheaffer Crest with a Triumph two tone nib.

I also like Autopoint pencils.
Cups.jpg

Reactions: scloyd

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@didimauw : My wife buys me a new Moleskine book every year which I record bill payment dates. After they are paid they get walloped with a large red 'PAID' stamp, each month carries my checking balance which ties to my bank account to the penny. I always buy a previous years Moleskine diary which becomes "The Book of To-Do" which records all tasks. Once eliminated two red lines with a ink pen and a rule are drawn through the task. I send all my accounting books down to my accountant and 'To Do' books are kept for 2 years and then burnt.

• Love
Reactions: vates and didimauw

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Since my last entry to this thread around two years ago nothing really changed: I still use fountain pens and Leuchtturm1917 notebooks for daily journaling.

However, I got more interested in fancy FP paper and now have a stash of Tomoe River, Life, and a bunch of Tsubame B5 notebooks.
My smaller everyday notebooks for jotting got more posh and organized now. I even have a Traveler system somewhere in the drawer (it's waiting for a nice journey... one day)
I also went full-on into mechanical, woodcase pencils and lead holders (what a rabbit hole!). The triggering event for that were the navigation courses. Never finished them though due to the current circumstances...