PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hi All
I just pulled the trigger on this Yanik baby dragon, I had placed it in my watch category on EBay and I received an offer to buy I couldn’t refuse.
Thoughts and comments please as I know very little about meerschaum pipes.
Thanks
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer View attachment 118122View attachment 118123
You'll enjoy that one, Yanik does good work. He dies use the screw in mortise inserts so when removing or inserting the stem, always turn the stem clockwise to avoid removing the insert.

Looks good! Does it have some colouring to it, or is it just the lighting?
Yanik uses yellow beeswax instead of white.

Reactions: Ettrick puffer

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
@Ettrick puffer , a meer is much more organic than a briar. It demands to be smoked and will age with you as you interact with it. The difference is that it will age gracefully. As it ages, it will reflect you, its smoker. Your triumphs, your losses, your victories and your defeats; all will be recorded in the lines of coloration left on your meerschaum. But most of all, your love for life, manifested in the tones of changing color on the skin of the meerschaum, will give tribute to the life you lived.

Happy smokes. Your friend from the former Spanish colony of Baja Norte, telescopes.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
@Ettrick puffer , a meer is much more organic than a briar. It demands to be smoked and will age with you as you interact with it. The difference is that it will age gracefully. As it ages, it will reflect you, its smoker. Your triumphs, your losses, your victories and your defeats; all will be recorded in the lines of coloration left on your meerschaum. But most of all, your love for life, manifested in the tones of changing color on the skin of the meerschaum, will give tribute to the life you lived.

Happy smokes. Your friend from the former Spanish colony of Baja Norte, telescopes.
@telescopes thanks for the very poignant and thoughtful comment. Pipes are very much more than just instruments to burn tobacco in.
Your friend from the Scottish Borders.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

KaunThePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2022
New England
www.instagram.com
As a proud owner of a S. Yanik myself, I say congratulations! These are some of the finest grade meerschaum pipes you can get. The biggest thing to remember is to clean it with a bent (halfwise) pipe cleaner only. Hot/damp meerschaum will pit easily. The other, keep carbon off the sides, as it can crack the meerschaum via softening and hardening repetitively. IMO, meerschaum is among the finest smoking experiences.