PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife's dad was a World War I U.S. Army veteran, a teenager when he joined. He was strictly a cigar guy, and married late, lived in his wife's family home and had to smoke outdoors. In the Army, he stood inspection, placed in the back row for an inspection by General Pershing, who was also from Missouri. The general had the entire brigade about face and inspected the back row, and took special notice of the teenager, letting him know that he was also a Missourian. I love that story. Pershing didn't forget his roots.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I learnt how to roll cigarettes from my Uncle Charles, a WW1 veteran who did the whole tour from 1914-18 on the Western Front. As I have remarked before everyone in my family seemed to have fought in WW1 with a few exceptions who seemed to have caught the 1939-45 sequel!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Interesting little read, thanks for posting.👍
I learn’t a new word too, a ‘flapper’ as opposed to the contemporary ‘slapper’. Lol

Copied from the link;

This introduction of women into the workforce, which also coincided with the suffrage movement, helped break down nineteenth-century gender norms which required women to remain at home. This cultural shift also manifested itself in the 1920s via the so-called “flapper,” also known as the “New Woman” in the Weimar Republic. These women scandalized conservative elements of interwar period society by dressing provocatively, cutting their hair, being sexually liberated, and smoking.

If nobody’s seen the BBC documentary ‘The Last Tommy’ you should do.
I always remember one old toff, reminiscing that he never went ‘over the top’ without a No. 4 Abdullah on the go! Lol (Abdullah’s were a posh cigarette).

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
Thanks for posting. It sort of gave me a sublime moment when the past and the present collide. They became one and the same and a deeper insight into the past has emerged. How would it have been, living during that age, even back in the 19th Century, when smoking a pipe was commonplace.

Reactions: romaso