PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Goodness. If we could time travel I might finally get to spend all those Confederate Dollars I have been saving on some semi decent tobacco. The past always looks more appealing because it has already happened. Its like wishing you purchased Microsoft or Apple shares at the companies inception!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Anyway, its paradise. I'd never want to leave.
Tourists rarely see past the facades erected for ... well, the tourists. You should move there and discover what it is like to be a "haole." Unless you wish to be one of the rich, emigrants from the mainland. They live mostly behind tall fences and rarely participate in the everyday lives of the "regular" people except to displace them for their estates. Trust me, the indigenous population and the Japanese owners would want you to leave after you spent your coin.

The old adage is also a truism,"You have to take the bad with the good." Well, unless you are a short term, disinterested tourist as you propose. Then your biggest concern I imagine would be poor service at the beachfront hotel, perhaps the slow delivery of drinks to your beach chair.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I am pretty sure I would like the 50's. I live a simple life and would enjoy the simplicity of life. The only difference now is I choose not to carry a cell phone or have a cable TV. I do my best to raise my own food. I agree life was hard then but its hard now just a different type. I choose to keep myself out of the rat race and all the political things going on. Pretty sure I would be a hermit back then too

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Yeh, but then we are talking average wages being below $1 an hour. Maybe you should have said that you wanted to go back in time with the money you have saved now.

I was talking to a relative who has over 1000 acres of land that he bought right out of high school. He just didn't understand why more people didn't buy more land earlier in life. He bought the land at less than $40 and acre back in the 60's, and was making about $8 an hour. He was thinking about all of those fast food people making over $8 an hour without taking into consideration that even $16 an hour won't pay rent.
In 1965 I was making minimum wage out of high school, $1.25 an hour. $8.00 an hour was a lot back then, to me.
Your relative was smart.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I wish I had a time machine to go back and pick the mega millions numbers, and the cost of pipes would be the least of my concerns. A couple hours should work, and I could also avoid the lunch that gave me heartburn ?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
2020 has been an enjoyable and entertaining year so far. The virus has had minimal impact on my life, the various political campaigns entertaining to say the least, I'm not eating the dirt sandwich so ... all and all a nice, prosperous year. No one should or would be interested in what few complaints I might have.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
With no preconditions, I’d like to visit the mid 1700’s and hang out with the Founding Fathers in the taverns as ideas were being formulated.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I'd like to go back in time and sit by, listening as Col. R. E. Lee, US Army, work through his momentous decision. He'd sworn an oath to the country, enjoyed the fruits of a free education, married a descendant of Geo. Washington and then convinced himself that his loyalty lay with Virginia, the state of his birth. He had to really contort his mind solving the conflict. I know what he wrote, I'd just would've like to hear and watch his as he resolved the conflict.

Most of the books written about him are homages to this singular individual and therefore worthless as historical references. I would have loved to have been a fly on his wall at Arlington House..

Mar 1, 2014
I was talking to my better half about going back to live in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. But without all the racism, anti feminist, everyone's a communist, and having your rights trampled on. It'd be a nice time to visit.

Reality is the world today is exactly the same as the 1940's except everything is reversed.
1990's was the best we'll ever see out of humanity.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You enjoyed 2020? :oops:
I've not seen a big issue here. The biggest part of quarantine lasted a week, then back to work. With school, the kids had the option of going or doing virtual classes so we kept them home just to be safe. Food shortages, toilet paper wars, and lack of sanitary supplies never happened. Restaurants closed their lobbies, but drive through take out and deliveries were always available. Plus we got big stimulus checks and notification that our utilities were paid for during the summer due to the crisis for some reason, car insurance included.

Status
Not open for further replies.