PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I do not want to offend anyone, but why do you guys let your wives tell you not to smoke in the house?
Speaking strictly for myself, I've been officially married for nearly 25 years - but I only took up the pipe last year. It's not something that was already part of the package when we got together, but rather a late addition to my collection of quirks. My wife's mother smoked cigarettes for decades (and actually died of lung cancer right about the time I was doing my homework on pipe smoking), and the smell of tobacco can have unpleasant associations for my wife if it's too much like cigarette smoke (e.g. codger burleys). My wife is also a classically trained vocalist - and although singing is a hobby rather than her profession, we still try to be careful about indoor air quality (we don't burn candles or incense all that much, either). In addition, when we bought the house, her credit score was marginally higher than mine, and her income level is currently higher than mine - so technically, she's making more of the house payment than I am.
In addition, she's never actually said that I can't smoke in the house. I volunteered to make my smoking hobby an outdoors-only thing in our current house because I don't like the smell of stale tobacco smoke, either. And having discovered the joys of Stinky English blends, it's probably just as well.
And finally, our relationship is based on a belief that we are equal partners. I am not the dominant partner, and neither is she. We negotiate, collaborate, compromise, and cooperate our way to marital bliss. Doesn't work for everybody, but it's how we operate. :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Another option would be to get an ozinator which will get rid of any smells and it will cost way less than the 200 a month. To my mind, no amount of money is too much to smoke in comfort. The fact you can write it off makes the cost negligible, plus it is way cheaper than knocking off all your tenants. If you want, send a few of the guys to visit your neighbors and explain the facts of life to them,politely of course. Make sure they are dressed up in their finest guido get ups for the desired effects.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
My wife let me know while we were on a long walk, that she would be very "pissed off" if I make the move. I'm still considering it....At the least, I now have reason to look for a new employee to justify needing the space.
As for the legality of smoking in California? Well, there are loopholes. I can designate my office a "private space" or something like that, allow no visitors unless members of that private space. But in reality, I don't give a crap about the law. I see guys pulling out E-cigs in bars all the time, and guess what? I smoke my pipe in bars, and everyone thinks it's an E-cig. Screw the law. I follow a higher calling.
To answer why I let my wife tell me I can't smoke in the house? Well....if I were to smoke in the house, quite simply, I would get the silent treatment.
Those of you who are married know that a woman can keep this up indefinitely. It is one of their superpowers, and though at first it is quite enjoyable, after time it can break a man down and beat him to submission.
I don't mind terribly smoking outside as it's not very cold, and when it is, I have a chair in the garage...but a pipe is best enjoyed indoors, no question.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Counterpoint here, probably doesn't apply to bryanf because his priorities are different. I could smoke in my office if I wanted to from a lease standpoint. I purposely choose not to, in fact I don't keep a pipe in the office. I choose to smoke only after dinner. I could smoke then in the house if I wanted to, my wife would tolerate it. I smoked cigars in the house years ago. But she doesn't smoke, I don't inhale, and we have 2 dogs, and I choose not to fill everyone's lungs with second hand smoke. I suppose I could invest in some kind of super duper air purifier, but it's just simpler to park a lawn chair on the driveway (or just inside the garage if it's raining). Works for me.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
If you can smoke in the new place, you might be able to get a pipe/cigar club together and have the members pay "dues" which might help with the upkeep. Maybe one day a week, $5-10 per person, BYOB/BYOF? Get yourself a nice lounge, TV set, and poker table setup? I'd pay for that! You could see if your local smoke shops would advertise it if you advertise your local shops to your club. I bet they would go for it. Hell, you might even get people stopping by during business hours just for a smoke break and company lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.