PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Me, personally, I couldn't justify the extra cash. I'd stick to a better smelling blend and just take solace that you can enjoy an aro smoke in the comfort of your work space. I'd be happy just to do that.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I would love to find a few guys around here and all of us go in together and rent a heated space we could enjoy. It was -47 here this weekend and that kind of cold really destroys any ability to enjoy a bowl.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I sympathise with the desire to smoke in your office.
One way to look at the extra cost is to prorate it per day, as others have suggested. So a little more than $9.00 may look cheap.
On the other hand, think of the extra annual cost: 215 X 12 = $2580 per annum. Is that worth it?
Also, the tax savings are not that significant.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I couldn't justify an extra $200 a month. But if it were half that? Like you said, the place has been empty for a year. See if he'll deal with you on that. Otherwise I'd say to hell with it, and smoke somewhere else. You could buy a tin a day with what you'd be paying for the privilege of smoking at work. That's a ton of stuff for the cellar.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I would move.. larger space and patio. make the guy an offer of $400 it's $100 more then he's getting now and the place has been empty a year not bringing in anything. if you don't need all the space find a pipe smoker who needs a desk away from home. (very hard to find in CA)

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Did not CA just pass another law that prohibits smoking in your own home, be it an an apartment or a $5,000,00.00 condo? Watch that & decide. If you are moving your business out of the house & you should be expecting growth, then you could justify the move now because we all need more space than what we think.

Aug 14, 2012
I do not want to offend anyone, but why do you guys let your wives tell you not to smoke in the house?

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I pay to smoke indoors. I pay my house payment, and smoke there. My wife knew before she married me that's what I was going to do as I did it then. A little ozium and it doesn't hang around at all.(still thanks for that Harris). If it is nice outside I do enjoy a smoke outdoors if the wind isn't bad. But for the other 300 days out of the year its my leather chair in the living room.

B

Dec 24, 2012
Don't forget to tax effect the cost - the $9.09 is deductible as rental cost for your business. So it actually costs you much less (depending on your marginal tax rate - that is, the value of the tax deduction).
Hell, I bought a house with a barn just so I could smoke indoors, lol

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I so feel for all you guys that can't smoke in the house. I can't imagine what I would do. It's just too cold in the northeast.
I smoke in the lower level and it is pretty much sealed from the rest of the house. But it lingers. Harris suggested an ozone machine which will clean out the air after the fact. You can't use it while you are inside because the machine is really hard on the throat. It really does the job.
If you can justify/afford it, do it. Good luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd make a list of pros and cons, and not just about the smoking. Would more space actually be useful

for your work? Would the access the outdoors juice your thought processes (maybe along with the pipe)?

Would you be more likely to invite in clients with a larger space, and enhance your business that way?

I don't think I'd move for the tobacco issue alone. It sounds like you can work around that, omitting the

burley during office hours. But there may be an array of reasons more rent would pay off. Think big.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Personally, I would move. Like others have said, you only have one life to live, might as well live it as happy as you can. And like Zach said...$9.09 a day for possible endless amounts of relaxation and enjoyment, not to mention the increased productivity you'd get from being able to smoke as much as you want! For a lot of people, $9 a day is spent just on Starbucks coffee alone (a price I can't justify, but each to their own).

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Find another pipe smoker to share the new office with you. Split the cost 50/50 and not only do you save $35 bucks a month toward PAD/TAD, but you get to share your office with another Brother/Sister of the Briar and smoke whatever blends you guys/gal want. Winner!!!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I have a man cave in my home. It has a reclining chair, a desk, a television, music, and best of all – an air purifier. I can smoke to my heart's content, and the aroma doesn't reach the rest of the house, and when I come downstairs the next day, the room smells fresh and clean – there is no trace of smoking. And that's the point of all this: invest in an air purifier, and it will keep your office smelling fresh and clean, and it will pay for itself within two or three months based on the additional rent you might be paying for the larger office. It's a one time expense and a very cost-effective solution. The Lightning Air can be had for under $400, and it works very well.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
The OP's problem is not his office but his smoke getting sucked into other offices in the building. In CA in particular it won't take long before folks next door call the smoking police which will not end well for the OP or the owner of the building. Since we are talking 300 sq ft would a small trailer in your backyard work?

Status
Not open for further replies.