PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
This is the shop in St. Augustine. My wife and I went there a few years ago. Its a nice shop in the Old City.
http://mypanamahat.com/

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Goorin Bros looks terrific, thanks for that link Mike. If I paid $25k for a Panama, it would had to have been worn by Hemingway.

I've lost some straw hats that have been crushed behind the seat of our MGB, ouch at $25k....

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
There are some very wealthy people in this world who routinely spend $25K or more on indulgences like Panama hats, fine wines, watches, shoes, suits, pipes, etc. Different strokes for different folks. You can't take it with you when you depart this world so you might as well spend it however it makes best sense to you.
As far as baseball caps go, what I don't care for are the flat-brim caps the kids wear these days:
51g5yArkWHL._SX355_.jpg

I prefer the more traditional style ball cap:
81rBTk3sTjL._SY355_.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Kids don't want old people to like their clothing choices. I thought you folks knew that.

Dec 24, 2012
Everytime I see a flat brim ball cap I just want to grab it off the guy's head and shape the brim. I have told both of my boys that they won't ever wear flat brim baseball caps as long as they live under my roof. I will sneak in their rooms at night and bend and shape the brims.
That aside, there is nothing wrong with spending 25k on watches or wine - I draw the line at a single Panama hat though, lol.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The only time those flat brims piss me off is during the National Anthem when they don't take them off, Starts at home doesn't it.
Yep, it does indeed.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ok peckinpahhombre, Ive decided, youre just plain rich! LOL

Glad for you and I'll share my baccy with you anytime.
I have a Fedora, dont know about the weave but I look pretty damn cool in it! Hahaha

HawkeFedora.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Peck,
If I was, I would buy that $25k Panama Hat that Zack is buying.
I might be able to afford the ribbon on a good day.
Mike, Thanks for the link- those guys had some nice hats....
Voorhees, That was the shop in St Augustine I was thinking of. Greta and I may have to run over for the weekend....

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
and I know...I know- for that $25,000 you could buy 25 perfectly good Dunhills or maybe even make a down payment on tobacco cellar like the one Harris or Peck has......

LOL! Or 3500some corn cobs but I got a kick out of the name drop! $25k is couch change for the guys/wives who buy these hats. 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A five hundred dollar Panama hat would be too elegant for me to wear. Hats are transitory items, blow off your

head in the wind, get copped in public places, get left behind, misplaced and soaked in the rain. It would be

like an $85 box of tissue. I love hats, and have way too many, including a Borsalino, but I set limits.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
While we're on hats, I say, if you are going to wear the brim of your ball cap around back,

you ought to just wear a beanie. Propellor optional.

Dec 24, 2012
my experience is if you want a Panama hat to last you need to spend around $250-300. The cheaper ones don't last - they unravel and/or crack. Been there and done that. The $500 one I own looks as good as the day I got it - around 7 years ago. The cheaper ones I own look like shit.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I used to patronize Montecristi I used to check out their high grade panama. Beautiful, but I figured that psychotherapy would be a better life investment. I bought a panama from Goorin Bros two years ago and it's holding up quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.