Would This Happen In The USA? (Margaret Thatcher)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Al- I agree they are not the same. One justly earned the death penalty, and what's more was an enemy at war with our country and so could justly be killed on sight, while the other lived a good life and I stand among those grieved by her passing. They are different situations, but my point is that there is a problem on some level in rejoicing in anyone's death for the sake of their death. Don't get me wrong, I believe in capital punishment and am grateful for the effects of Bin Laden's death.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al- I agree they are not the same. One justly earned the death penalty, and what's more was an enemy at war with our country and so could justly be killed on sight, while the other lived a good life and I stand among those grieved by her passing. They are different situations, but my point is that there is a problem on some level in rejoicing in anyone's death for the sake of their death. Don't get me wrong, I believe in capital punishment and am grateful for the effects of Bin Laden's death.
Ok, I understand your point. I'm relived when an animal like that is put down, but don't take any joy out it.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
When Johnny Rotten gives a more reasonable response than protesters, ya gotta do a self check.
"She was my enemy in life but I will not be her enemy in death."

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I want to thank everyone for keeping this in hand.

I'm thinking that this has about run it's course.

We'll leave it open for a bit longer, and when it begins to fall down the page a bit we'll close it.

Thanks again everybody... great discussion.

:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It was definitely an interesting discussion. I love to see cultures from all over the globe represented here. We may not always agree, but at least we can gain the perspective of another and try to understand from their point of view. Lay her to rest Lawrence!

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
Has anybody heard the Ella Fitzgerald version of "Ding, Dong! The Witch is Dead!" ?

No- doesn't happen in this country, (USA) people lose their jobs if they badmouth a canonized politician.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I think you'll hear all kinds of foolishness if Sarah Palin or GW Bush passed. So, yeah, it could happen in this country.

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
Glenda Jackson speaking about Thatcher's legacy in the House of Commons, nobody would dare speak out like that here, even about Thatcher, much less Reagan. Obama praising her to the skies...no one dares be honest here, it's too politically problematic.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Obama speaks what is on his teleprompter. Otherwise, he gets befuddled easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.