PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Hey there forum folks.
Lately I have been going down some of my unexplored blend avenues to see what they have to offer. After always considering myself an English/Balkan smoker, I have realized after going through most of the touted blends that there are actually only a couple that I truly enjoy occasionally. I have gone down the VaPer route and found a few I enjoy from there also. Currently I am exploring Burley forward smokes, and they have become my go-to smokes for the most part. I went through a number of OTCs I could find - SWR, CH, PA, Granger - and liked them all well enough, with the exception of PA(I can't handle anise/licorice at all). I also was gifted a tin of Stonehaven and liked that a lot as well.
Right now I have samples of the following coming to try out:

C&D Pegasus, Haunted Bookshop, Three Friars

G.L. Pease Barbary Coast

Peter Stokkebye Cube cut, Toasted Burley
Are blends out there that I should tack on that aren't unobtanium? Also, it'd be nice if they weren't total nicotine bombs (JackKnife Plug, Five Brothers, University Flake). I have somewhat of a tolerance, but something like Nightcap will still wobble me a bit.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really enjoy burley, single-leaf and blended. I may be a little behind the curve, but I still consider C&D the master burley blender, though others do wonderful work with it too. I highly recommend C&D Billy Budd and Old Joe Krantz. PC's Russ O. does lovely work with burley including Midtown Chestnut and Log Cabin. The single leaf burley variant Tabac-Manil Semois in either thick or medium cut is a great burley for ardent burley smokers, but it might be too nic heavy for some. A Forums member sent me a nearly full package of Semois when it made him throw up, and sent along some Frog Morton Cellar and (I missed it in the box until he mentioned it) a Ferndown billiard pipe. No wonder I like Semois. But go slow with burley, so you don't have a bad experience. You might like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic -- burley base with Virginia as a condiment and flavored lightly with three liqueurs, a real surprise in a pouch tobacco, and considering that I can't even taste Sir Walter Raleigh Regular. Have fun, and go gentle with the nicotine. Burley can be a sturdy friend. You are lucky (and wise) to have discovered it and lucky to tolerate it well.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Don't pass on Uhle's Blend #00. It's described as pure ribbon cut Burley, but many think it has a faint casing of honey. It's fantastic. I like cube cut Burley's too, but I recall the PS brand biting me pretty hard. I might need to revisit it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my opinion, burley really benefits from being sipped. It becomes harsh when puffed. Sipping brings out its complexity and nuance.

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
You also might look into Peretti’s of Boston. I’ve tried a few of their burley blends and have been very impressed overall. I find myself reaching for the Cuban a friend sent me to sample a great deal and plan to order a half pound this week. They are well known for their burley blends.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
U.S market has many great burley to offer.

Badbeard: University Flake, Amphora Original Brown and Mc Baren Golden Extra , all these are good value solid Burley forward blends with rather a medium nicotine content,I'm enjoying them all on my rotation, For my aftermeal smoke I prefer having Solani Aged Burley flake or HH Old Dark Fired by Mc Barens.Wonderful stuff.Oh Yes, as Mso said Burley can get harsh if you went too rigurously with them ,as it often happens with the undersigned, Best Luck to You, Paul

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
In my opinion, burley really benefits from being sipped. It becomes harsh when puffed. Sipping brings out its complexity and nuance.
Initially when I first started with Burley I thought that I just couldn't tolerate it. My tongue was raw, but not in a steam burned way. I got nauseated shortly after lighting up a bowl. I put it out of my sights for about 6 years, and then more recently decided to try again. As it turns out my issues with Burley forward blends seemed to be entirely user error, because now there is no issue. I am a very slow smoker now.. and I agree entirely that sipping Burleys, or any blend for that matter, will almost always provide a superior experience.
Good stuff! Keep em coming! :D
C&D Billy Budd and OJK(how did I miss these?)

P&C Midtown Chestnut and Log Cabin

Tabac-Manil Semois

Uhle's Blend #00 (this has to be ordered direct from Uhle's?)

LJ Peretti various Burley's

Pete's University Flake(this one scares me just a tad)

Amphora Original Brown

Mac Baren Golden Extra(almost got this one, good to know)

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Solani Aged Burley Flake(this one was on my radar too)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Daughters & Ryan Two Timer, a pure Burley blend, gets high marks. I like Two Timer Gold, with Virginia, which sweetens it a bit. A 40gr. tin of either will set you back only $5.35 @ SPC -- worth a try.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've also been enjoying the Old Dark Fired, especially some aged stuff I got.
If you get some, get one for now and one for the cellar.
I've also been enjoying the Daughter's & Ryan Cockstrong, burley with some VA and orientals.
Two totally different experiences in the pipe. A folded flake of ODF can go over an hour and a large bowl of Cockstrong can be ash in 30 minutes.
jay-roger.jpg

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It never ceases to amaze me how even narrowed down to Burley based blends, there is still a mind boggling amount of stuff to try! Anything else in bulk I should consider?
Here is the running list:
C&D Billy Budd and OJK

P&C Midtown Chestnut and Log Cabin

Tabac-Manil Semois

Uhle's Blend #00 (this has to be ordered direct from Uhle's?)

LJ Peretti various Burley's

Pete's University(this one scares me just a tad)

Amphora Original Brown

Mac Baren Golden Extra

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Solani Aged Burley Flake

Watch City Slices

D&R Two Timer, Cockstrong
I will probably have to order this stuff in phases I think :D

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Badbeard:Good list you've gotten created, about University It ain't too strong no by taste nor in nic,but on the other hand that Cockstrong might be on the higher nicotine side similarly to C&D Billy B and OJK,whereas opinions on Tabac Semois strongeness vary on that matter, I find it delightful,although this baccy needs some completly different approach similarly to Cockstrong. My thanks go to Mr,Cortez for bringing up this Two Timer by Daughters&Ryan never had never have.Probably very good value stuff.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Good list. That will keep you busy.
And yes, you’ll need to order the 00 directly from Uhle’s.
Thanks for the info on Uhle's. I was thinking that was the case, but thanks for confirming for me.
EDIT: You absolutely need to put “storm front” on your list!
Interesting.. Cigar leaf. I will definitely add that one!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Are blends out there that I should tack on that aren't unobtanium?
I would like to speak up for C&D Cube Cut Burley here, which is probably medium-to-strong but lovely in flavor.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Are blends out there that I should tack on that aren't unobtanium?
Hi OP --
You've got a good list but I would like to speak up for the superbly smooth HH Mac Baren Bold Kentucky (Flake).

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Awesome. I think this list might help more than just me, so I will keep it running and more organized.
Amphora: Original (Brown)

C&D : Billy Budd, Cube Cut Burley, OJK

D&R: Cockstrong, Two Timer

John Patton: Storm Front

LJ Peretti: various Burley's

Mac Baren: HH Bold Kentucky (Flake), Golden Extra, Old Dark Fired

Peterson's: University Flake

P&C: Midtown Chestnut and Log Cabin

Solani: Aged Burley Flake

Tabac-Manil: Semois

Uhle's - Blend #00

Watch City Cigar: Watch City Slices

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Besides C&D Burley Flake 1 & 3, another C&D burley forward blend I highly recommend is Five O'Clock Shadow; it is just so delicious...
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/6784/cornell-diehl-five-oclock-shadow-working-man-series

Status
Not open for further replies.