PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Don't start with pipes unless you have a HUGE savings. PAD and TAD will hit a lot harder than you think.
Sou

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Two things I have learned over the years.
1.Never ever judge a pipe on price alone.

2.When in doubt you can never go wrong with a p-lip Peterson.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
The one thing I learned that I wish I knew from day 1. When the ex wife was kicking me out grab the pipes on your way out. She smashed up the whole lot.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
A lot of women are like that,toker...been there, done that. That's why I prefer my dog.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Learn more about the different tobacco's and what they taste like. Then buy what blends have what you like best rather then buy whatever and hate it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like Igloo mentioned, the pipe interfaces with the smoker at the stem, and comfort there can make for a great smoke.

Like Puffy, buy fewer, higher quality pipes ...and put the savings into tobacco.
Good thread. Lots of sage advice here. :puffy:

winterland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Minneapolis
Pipe smoking forums are a great place to learn about pipes and tobacco. The people you meet are a bonus. Join in on the action.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Tobaccoreviews is a great site to find new tobaccos to test based on what you already like, using the "advanced search".
Also, don't trust all the reviews there.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Life's too short for cheap tobacco, i almost got turned off too smoking pipes because I smoked too many drustore/liquor store blends...

Smoke many blends until you find the ones that fit you

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Glad to see all the wisdom of experienced smokers being recorded in this thread.

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
I would say the obvious - smoke slowly. Also, I wish off the bat I'd known about tobaccos other than those available at the mini mart. Let's face it, Captain Black, Borkum Riff, and Argosy Black (that was my fave) have their place but there is SO much more out there.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
This is a real good thread for us newbies; thanks for starting it.
I, too, will add that learning to sip (which I'm still doing) makes all the difference in the world!

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
This is a bit of a skill, keep at it, listen, learn, and enjoy. This is not a race no one will win.

blueview

Lurker
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks for the sage advice guys. I'm a pipe newbie. I've tried pipes over the years but never learned to do it properly and always got tongue bite. Now, having read numerous articles and viewed many youtube videos I've finally broken in a pipe just right and have started smoking more satisfying tobaccos then can be found in the drug stores. I began by puffing like a locomotive not tasting the tobacco but being impressed with the clouds of smoke I created. Now I sip gently and enjoy the cool smoke. No longer get tongue bite and I can taste the subtle nuances of the various blends and mixtures. I also smoke cigars but I enjoy the pipe more. The pipe is more contemplative while cigars are more raucous.

Status
Not open for further replies.