PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Several years ago I bought a large lot of vintage matches included were boxes of white and black tip wax shaft made in Italy. Only a touch on the striker needed. Unknown if still made maybe not as they are not safety matches.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

Strauss

Lurker
Feb 19, 2021
Philadelphia
I use matches fairly often. Some cheap off-brand, some of those new diamond greenies. I don't love them but I have not had the problem complained about here. I used to have a bunch of matches from Nat Sherman in NYC, they just gave them when you bought anything, and those were great. If you can get to a B&M, maybe they will have matches intended to be used for more than lighting birthday candles.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I find no performance difference between diamond brand and three star. As others have stated matches aren’t what they used to be, which makes it even more important to realize it’s about friction - not pressure. I would add strike away from you, not towards. That way if any bits of lit matchhead fly off you at least won’t have it fall on you/your clothes. Swan matches may be better quality wood but tough to find in America. Ivan Ries has them though.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
Anyone else notice the piece of match head that always flies off every match when you strike it? They always land on my keyboard or clothes or some other awkward place. Probably not a problem for someone smoking outdoors, or whoever doesn't use matches, but I much prefer wood matches over lighters, and this feature irritates.

But my preferences are neither here nor there. My real question is, does anyone know of a suitable substitute for the match stick ? In other words, something I could light with a Bic or something? Call 'em match blanks, for lack of a better word. I suppose I could just turn the match around...hmmm.

(Manufacturers, take note--assuming there are any that give half a rat's ass about the 37 pipe smokers left that use their product for lighting pipes.)
My guess is your using kitchen or fireplace matches. There are much better quality out there, that light smoothly. I highly recommend three star safety matches. They’re made by Swedish match. Low smell, decent burn and the bod even looks cool.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
That's what I feared. It's not the head that shears off; it's a tiny particle that's hot enough to slightly embed itself in plastic. I never noticed it until recently--maybe a year or so ago, which is suspicious. I tolerated it for a while, now it annoys. (Brand is Diamond, with the "Green Light" logo.)

Don't use the Diamond "Greens" - just the regular. Shouldn't have any problems ever lighting the match off the side of the box.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I use the cheapest matches I can get here in Sweden occasionally, and they work great. I don't know if it's because they are Swedish, but they work fantastic.
Swedish matches are renowned for being great.
As an Expat living in Korea, it drives me nuts that I can't buy matches here, since they stopped selling them more than 10 years ago.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think there is a difference between matches just in general. I use the strike anywhere matches. After my Mom died, I found a big box of them in her pantry. They were much more substantial. I don't know if burleybreath uses these or the strike on box kind, but the new strike anywhere matches are incredibly cheap...the heads tend to break off even with gentle pressure, in my experience, and they seem to spit off little bits much more easily.
they changed them to make them less dangerous because if you moved enough they could light the whole box

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
i like the green they have less match smell and who has trouble lighting them?
They seemed less efficient to me the one time we had a box in some way that led me to suggest not buying them again, but I just can't remember the specifics of why and we haven't bought them again.

Reactions: edger

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
They seemed less efficient to me the one time we had a box in some way that led me to suggest not buying them again, but I just can't remember the specifics of why and we haven't bought them again.
you know I buy it by the brick and one box I got was wonky. Like really thin matches that broke easily. Out of the three bricks I got through in a year that ain't the worst.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My guess is your using kitchen or fireplace matches. There are much better quality out there, that light smoothly. I highly recommend three star safety matches. They’re made by Swedish match. Low smell, decent burn and the bod even looks cool.
My guess, too. Lots of reasons I won't use kitchen matches.

If you have access to a fancy bar, restaurant or hotel, the boxed matches are great. No extra wood to burn up and dispose. Compact, easy to stick in pocket. Also, smaller flame= easier to manage.

Reactions: JOHN72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Knew a professor who used to get drunk and flick match off the box all night long. Usually, his friends get pissed and try to stop the house fire. Some seriously mentally unstable people in academia. I was saying.. Trying to light a pipe with a flying match would be a neat bar trick.

Reactions: JOHN72

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I don't have trouble lighting these matches, I know how it's done, and it's not the head that flies off. It's a tiny, barely noticeable fragment that seems to eject from the match when struck, every friggin' time. It has just enough mass to cause trouble. Thanks for the recommendations; I think I'll try another brand, as suggested above. Can't believe this country can't produce a match that's not encumbered by what appears to be some greenie PC horse shit. What would Ivar Kreuger think?