PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Anyone else notice the piece of match head that always flies off every match when you strike it? They always land on my keyboard or clothes or some other awkward place. Probably not a problem for someone smoking outdoors, or whoever doesn't use matches, but I much prefer wood matches over lighters, and this feature irritates.

But my preferences are neither here nor there. My real question is, does anyone know of a suitable substitute for the match stick ? In other words, something I could light with a Bic or something? Call 'em match blanks, for lack of a better word. I suppose I could just turn the match around...hmmm.

(Manufacturers, take note--assuming there are any that give half a rat's ass about the 37 pipe smokers left that use their product for lighting pipes.)

I have several of these eternal matches in my collection; also called evermatch, metal match, or other trade names. They are basically a metal stick with a piece of wick on the end, held by carbon steel which sparks as you drag it over the striker. You can put any fuel you want into them, but they act as a match over and over again.
They say that they never wear out, but the strikers are usually the first thing to wear out. But... they work.

1652803209927.png

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The only time I run into issues with flying match heads are the cheapo long fireplace matches but the issue is the same I'd guess you are having with the shorts - how and where you are applying the leverage, brand of matches, etc. - just like pipes, I guess - technique and quality.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem - that thing Cosmic showed I've never seen, looks cool, but I'd use, and usually do, a Zippo before that, but I like using regular box matches as well - I use Diamond matches around the house for pipes or candles and they work fine for us and seem to be pretty sturdy, but again, strike at the wrong angle or apply the fingers in the wrong way/place and you can still snap 'em off!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Wooden match user, here. I know what you're talking about. My remedy has been to gently slide the match head across the friction strip, rather than pushing the match into the strip. It isn't as easy towards the end of a box of matches when the friction strip gets worn down. I've also noticed higher ambient humidity requires me to push harder on the match to get it to light.

Hope this helps.

dctune

Like the OP, I also absolutely love lighting up with matches. And until this past Christmas, that’s almost exclusively what I did. There’s just something different about it. But I’ve also experienced the problem of the match head falling off. Twofold, as it were. Sometimes it would fall of the strike. Other times, I’ve had it drop into the bowl as the match burned down. The only solution to the first problem I’ve found is to try to strike as softly and slowly as possible.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I have several of these eternal matches in my collection; also called evermatch, metal match, or other trade names. They are basically a metal stick with a piece of wick on the end, held by carbon steel which sparks as you drag it over the striker. You can put any fuel you want into them, but they act as a match over and over again.
They say that they never wear out, but the strikers are usually the first thing to wear out. But... they work.

View attachment 145992
Does the fuel evaporate with these? Like a Zippo?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke almost exclusively with matches because I like the soft flame, the control, and the sound and even the slight smell of matches. I have certainly had the head of the match fly off on striking, always unlit so far. But It is fairly infrequent, I'd estimate once a month on an average. It may be that you grasp the stick a little too far from the head. You do have to move your fingers out of the way quickly, but that's just matches.

I have lighters and like them as nifty gadgets, but I like the basic aspect of matches.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
For my taste, this is the most cost effective and comfortable thing I have. For all kinds of situations. 11centimeters long. I also have a Kibiri Kabuto, but I use it for meetings away from home, either with friends or wife. I always liked the zippo, I had some years ago to smoke my cigars, although right now I don't have any, I plan to buy some later. IMG_4411[3791].jpg

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Matches today aren't what they used to be. I also prefer a match, but the cheap quality of matches made today has diminished my enthusiasm somewhat.
That's what I feared. It's not the head that shears off; it's a tiny particle that's hot enough to slightly embed itself in plastic. I never noticed it until recently--maybe a year or so ago, which is suspicious. I tolerated it for a while, now it annoys. (Brand is Diamond, with the "Green Light" logo.)

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
wait are you talking about the match head flying or little sparks? You know it's friction not pressure that sparks the match right?
I think there is a difference between matches just in general. I use the strike anywhere matches. After my Mom died, I found a big box of them in her pantry. They were much more substantial. I don't know if burleybreath uses these or the strike on box kind, but the new strike anywhere matches are incredibly cheap...the heads tend to break off even with gentle pressure, in my experience, and they seem to spit off little bits much more easily.

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
I mostly use Solstickan matches, produced by Swedish Match Industries, with virtually no problems. No broken sticks or flying sparks. I think they also manufacture Swan Vestas. A little hard to find but an excellent product.

Reactions: TheWhale13