PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agreed. Oddly enough I picked up a Barling Canadian that has a very thin heel, and I feel I should bolster it with pipe mud or something.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
I always used briars, but when I got my first MM, I sold all my briars and I am now I'm a pure MM fanboy [:D] I love em that much.
astralogic if this is true, I'm astounded! Haha. I really wish a cob appealed to me that much. What blends and etc. do you typically love and smoke the most?

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I am not really sure this is relavent, but I did enjoy some of this guys modification videos on the MM cobs.

Missouri Meerschaum modification He chisels out the wooden stem entry point and then packs it with pipe mud, changing the draft hole entry, and discusses leaving the wooden stem entry and packing with pipe mud only.

All of which, although interesting seems unnecessary.. :wink:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On my only new purchased MM which is a 'Mark Twain' that too had a little of the stem protruding into the bowl. About two minutes with a Marples woodcarving chisel dealt with it no problem.
Some folks are leary about using sharp tools on pipes and I can understand that. The thing is to be confident and work slowly.
Regards,
Jay.

Reactions: billybee5

btsteve

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2015
Sellersburg, Indiana
I think chiseling out the shank in the bowl and adding pipe mud works great. I did it to all for of my MM's and they smoke wonderfully. I like them even more. It is extremely easy with a sharp chisel and does not take long. I recommend it if you do not like the burning wood taste you sometimes get when it is left in.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
This drives me absolutely bat $h!T crazy with cobs. I've really tried to give them a fair shake and enjoy them, but when they look like a class of kindergarten kids assembled them with with Elmer's glue and fiskar scissors I have a hard time appreciating them. I'm sure I'll get hung for this comment by the cob men around here, but I just can't get over it. I've never enjoyed a cob enough to ignore the thought that I'm inhaling whatever brand of crazy glue that I can see leftover from the process of bonding stem to bowl. Then there's this Haggard looking chunk of wood hanging onto the bowl that I have to work around to pack and clean this damn thing? No thank you. Don't get me wrong, I own plenty of cobs and use them on occasion to fish, mow, or do any other kind of activity where I'm lighting a pipe and then ignoring it. But I've also been known to send them down to Davy Jones' locker after a bowl while fishing with no regrets, or chunk them in the trash after a day of mowing. It's just a $3 cigar in my mind.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I cannot relate.
I spend around $5 on a legend. It lasts for a couple months. I've never had a cob catch on fire or emit any kind of weird toxic fumes.

When it starts looking fugly or when it doesn't taste as good I toss it away without concern. It's disposable.
It's a piece of corn with wood and plastic? it's like $5 or $10... I'm happy if it lasts a week. Instead they last a couple months. If anything, the stem wears out too quickly. That's my fault because I clench and chew it.
They've been around forever. They are tried and true. They are what they are?!?!!!
Some people love them, some don't.
You can get them in Walgreens for $5.
They are awesome for what they are.
If folks can extend their lives and modify them to derive more pleasure then that's great!
It's Corn, wood and plastic... it's cheap. They can smoke like a champ. They cost $5-$10. What more do you want?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a couple of Legends that are 3 or 4 years old. Still smoke them when working outside. This obsession with "too much shank in the bowl" is just that an obsession. If it was that big of a deal they wouldn't be selling 600 - 800 thousands of the pipes every year.
Simply put, if you don't like them, don't smoke them. Just go out to a drug store and buy a cheap Dr. Grabow.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Hmm anyone every try a screen just above the shank extension so you don't have tobacco left underneath the shank?
I just smoke them as they are and don't worry about it. Not crazy about that cob taste though.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I've never enjoyed a cob enough to ignore the thought that I'm inhaling whatever brand of crazy glue that I can see leftover from the process of bonding stem to bowl."
Yet you are quite content to smoke tobacco which contains a plethora of poisonous chemicals?
Quite bizarre.
Regards,
Jay.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
The way I used to deal with protruding shank - microwave cob for about 20 seconds. Pull the shank out. Trim it. Glue it back using carpenters glue. Raise the bottom with pipe mud. "Paint" walls with the same mud using pipe cleaner. Voila.

danno44

Lurker
Jan 4, 2017
I still have my first pipe purchased, a MM Legend from over 2 years ago, smokes great.

When I get a new cob, for the first handful of bowls, once I smell or taste wood, I set the pipe down and let it burn itself out.

Once stem is charred and bottom is caked I don't notice anything funky in taste or how it smokes.

My MM legends are my workhorse pipes when I am doing yardwork or anything other than just relaxing with a pipe. Stuff it with some burley light it and forget it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Lemme see...

• buy the cob

un-glue and remove the shank

file away the intrusive part of the shank

re-glue and re-insert the shank

make some pipe mud and coat the bottom of the bowl

buy a forever stem
sounds like too much hobbying around for me.

My solution? Buy a Rinaldo and enjoy the ecstasy immediately and forever more.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
""I've never enjoyed a cob enough to ignore the thought that I'm inhaling whatever brand of crazy glue that I can see leftover from the process of bonding stem to bowl."
Yet you are quite content to smoke tobacco which contains a plethora of poisonous chemicals?
Quite bizarre."
Yes Jay, but I'm familiar with the "poisonous" chemicals created during the combustion of tobacco as I've performed extensive research on the subject . I'm not however familiar with what chemicals this or any other form of epoxy creates when burned. I enjoy a good smoke and am aware of the risk associated with it. I'm also semi aware of the risks of huffing spray paint, and therefore choose not to pursue that "hobby". There's a reason that adequate ventilation is required while painting but not life threatening while smoking a pipe. There's quite a difference in my mind.

webpoppy8

Lurker
May 3, 2015
What about using a hole-saw bit to remove the shank?
Also, why no actual adhesive in "pipe mud"? Isn't there a non-toxic high-temp adhesive that could be used?

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
What about using a hole-saw bit to remove the shank?
There is really no need. It will either burn away or go black. It just doesn't matter.
Also, why no actual adhesive in "pipe mud"? Isn't there a non-toxic high-temp adhesive that could be used?
Because there is no need.

Status
Not open for further replies.