PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I enjoy red wine. I'm not an expert by any definition and really don't look to become one. I have about 60 bottles in the cellar, mostly reds. For value I look to south America, South Africa, New Zealand. For an every day red I buy the Hungarian Egri Bikaver Bull's Blood. It can be had for $7-$8/bottle and is a good table red. People are surprised when they taste it and I tell them how inexpensive it is.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
papipeguy, I would never, ever, turn my nose up at Bull's Blood! A fruity, rustic Hungarian red which I think would go well with a pipe. It is great value as you said - we used to drink it by the bucketful when I was at college.

May 31, 2012
If I had the $$$ I'd be a serious beatnik wino!
My fave is Amarone della Valpolicella.
Ripasso as well.
I like the Old World northern Italian style.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Likewise misterlowercase! Amarone is a stunning wine. It's said that they dry the grapes on racks in the sun until they lose water. Then they press them into a rich liquor before fermentation. This process apparently is responsible for the extreme concentration of flavour - I love it, when I can afford it.
Another favourite of mine is Brunello di Montalcino, a stunning red which is not as hard on the pocket!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Wife's french, so yeah, we drink some damn good wine. Favorite is probably chateau du pape, or st. Brion. Drank a nice 2004 the other night. I prefer french wine, in general, or california merlot/ sauvignon blends well aged. She's over in France right now, and sure she'll bring back some nice wine. A 5 euro house wine over there is very good. House wine here is undrinkable.
Lately drinking more mezcal than anything else to be honest. Brought back three large bottles from Oaxaca last week. New favorite spirit.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
You are a lucky man bryani! I also get through a lot of Chateauneuf du Pape. There are many domaines in that region of France and most of them are just great - I'm sure your wife will know the ones to look out for. Up to 13 different grape varieties are permitted to be used and many domaines use all 13! Try Chateau Beaucastel if you get the chance - it's my favourite.
BTW a friend (sadly not a pipe smoker) and I are doing a Rhone Valley wine tasting road trip in October, ending up at Chateauneuf, so you can imagine what we'll be getting up to. I hope the liver can handle it!!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
White wines in our house while waiting for the wines that I make (raspberry / spiced plum / applejack). I also enjoy a glass of Whidbey's Port on a cold evening.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Haha Jake. Yes, I am lucky. I was drinking some incredible wine last year over there. We drink a couple bottles between us a day usually on vacation. Over the course of a full day, you really don't get much more than a light buzz. My wife's friends are very generous. In france, your wine collection is really a symbol of your manhood, and everyone has a great collection. I will try the beaucastle in November when I go back. Can't wait.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
After a long day in Napa Valley dealing with plastic people ,the wife and I took the Beringer tour . The host took us to the tasting room and proclaimed 'We drink wine here and we have since 1876 no spitting allowed ,drink up' .One valley over is Sutter Hill the same way .You may scoff at these wines but truth be told the grapes for the most part are from thier vineyards not from Modesto .I wish I could say the same for Mondavi .

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Igloo, Beringer wines I would never scoff at! They return value right through the range. Their "Private Reserve" cab sauv is my favourite American red wine - I have a case of the 2004 in my collection, trying to ignore it for a bit longer!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Beringer fan here. I like mostly the whites. Moscato on the sweeter end to Chardonnay on the other, The various Zinfadels I like once in a while too. Generally I like wine when preparing and during a nice meal at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.