PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Wow, tonight was fantastic! The forecast was for gusts up to 25 MPH! Well, its 11:00 (2300) and that's just what's happening. But at 8:30 (2030), it was calm, and I had a great one hour smoke! It was the first night in over a week and a half that it wasn't still 100°!

Great evening!
You could always cover and hold the bowl with one hand. Works pretty well for me.
I've tried that, but can't (yet) get it right. Piss-poor coordination on my part, lol. The problem isn't really getting the pipe lit, it's the wind whipping the flame and toasting my fingers and thumb! OUCH ?on?!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Wow, tonight was fantastic! The forecast was for gusts up to 25 MPH! Well, its 11:00 (2300) and that's just what's happening. But at 8:30 (2030), it was calm, and I had a great one hour smoke! It was the first night in over a week and a half that it wasn't still 100°!

Great evening!

I've tried that, but can't (yet) get it right. Piss-poor coordination on my part, lol. The problem isn't really getting the pipe lit, it's the wind whipping the flame and toasting my fingers and thumb! OUCH ?on?!
Yupe. That happens. Sometimes I wait for the wind to calm down a little. But they do seem to have their own mind.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana

Great evening!

One thing to keep in mind (and it might’ve already been mentioned) is that strong winds will make your tobacco smoke too hot and fast once you do get it lit. Some people have better luck with chunks of plug or crumble cake, which burn slower than ribbon. If the wind is too stiff, I’ll just opt for a cigar most of the time.

Reactions: ksman75

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
One thing to keep in mind (and it might’ve already been mentioned) is that strong winds will make your tobacco smoke too hot and fast once you do get it lit. Some people have better luck with chunks of plug or crumble cake, which burn slower than ribbon. If the wind is too stiff, I’ll just opt for a cigar most of the time.
I'm still in the learning stage, so burning too fast isn't a problem, keeping it lit is. The real problem is burning body parts and the rim of the bowl.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
If you have a yard, I'd think about building a little windproof gazebo or a shed to go smoke in (with decent ventilation but that will block the wind).

We get high winds frequently where I am too, and I often go out walking with a pipe. But, I detest smoking in the wind. There are several regular spots I go to (a little grove surrounded by trees, or a dip in the path near a local lake, even a bus shelter works as a last resort) and I go there because even on a windy day I can enjoy my pipe.

Especially true as you say you're in the learning stage, as it might be detrimental. The tastiest smoke you'll have is so cool that it's always on the verge of going out.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and ksman75

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
If you have a yard, I'd think about building a little windproof gazebo or a shed to go smoke in (with decent ventilation but that will block the wind).

We get high winds frequently where I am too, and I often go out walking with a pipe. But, I detest smoking in the wind. There are several regular spots I go to (a little grove surrounded by trees, or a dip in the path near a local lake, even a bus shelter works as a last resort) and I go there because even on a windy day I can enjoy my pipe.

Especially true as you say you're in the learning stage, as it might be detrimental. The tastiest smoke you'll have is so cool that it's always on the verge of going out.
Great suggestions, but...always that but...were in a rental, so no $$$ will be invested to increase their property value, plus it would need to be approved even if I were inclined to build something.

Once winter gets here and the temps drop to freezing, it won't be a problem, but with our last week or two in the triple digits, taking a walk is not going to happen, lol.

I've just resigned myself to either dealing with the wind, or waiting for calmer days. Those two are the most practical solutions.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Maybe get a cob so the burned rim will not be a costly accident. Just replace as needed.
Have two, and a third on the way. ?

Actually caught the rim of my Country Gentleman on fire ?.
Scraped it good with my pocket knife and gor most of the char off. The damage was minimal. It's not pretty, but serviceable. Ordered a Zippo pipe lighter the same day.?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Have two, and a third on the way. ?

Actually caught the rim of my Country Gentleman on fire ?.
Scraped it good with my pocket knife and gor most of the char off. The damage was minimal. It's not pretty, but serviceable. Ordered a Zippo pipe lighter the same day.?
I suggest leaving the lava/cake/char on the rim. It will help protect further damage.

Edit: (That's for pipes that'll be exposed to further harsh conditions. I generally remove the lava/tar from rims as I enjoy seeing the grain.)

Last edited:

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
I suggest leaving the lava/cake/char on the rim. It will help protect further damage.

Edit: (That's for pipes that'll be exposed to further harsh conditions. I generally remove the lava/tar from rims as I enjoy seeing the grain.)
There's a small chip on the lower left corner. That's where most of the damage was. Like I said, it's not beautiful, but it smokes just fine ?.
20210714_093651.jpg20210714_093621.jpg20210714_093549.jpg