PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Pretty much what the title says.

I have a Zippo pipe lighter, but where I live, its outdoor smoking only, and it's also windy most of the time. It's a real bitch trying to get a pipe lit without charging either the pipe or my fingers.

I want to avoid using a torch, so was wondering if it's something I'm going to just have to live with, or has anyone else run into a similar situation and have some suggestions.

Reactions: STP and JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use my zippos only for winds of 10-20 knots. Above that, I use a torch.

However, in any real wind, I seek some buffer- buildings, trees, golf cart.
Facing the wind with my hands cupped just right, I can use a soft flame up to about 12 knots. Usually wearing a glove on one hand which helps to keep the skin burn rate down.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Zippos work fine for me, even in the storms that blow in from the coast (quite windy!). Make sure to keep it saturated with fluid so you get a strong, steady flame. Hold it so the wind blows the flame INTO your bowl. You may have to hold the pipe almost sideways to do this. A wide brimmed hat (cowboy type) helps too. Face into the wind and tip the crown down to help shield pipe & lighter.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Lighter (blowtorch). I use it for cigars, yes, it's on the street and with a lot of wind. Smoking in a pipe and windy, it's not my liking.................

Reactions: STP
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
The Lotus worked well the other day with a thunder storm approaching. There is a flame adjustment that allows you to point the fire where it is needed and inside the bowl is needed with a short, soft flame.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Lancaster, where I live, is in the "Antelope Valley", key word, "valley". The wind comes from the west to the east, and seriously, trees that aren't protected from the wind all lean to the east.

Last night, when I posed this question, it was blowing with 15 to 20 MPH gusts. This is considered a light wind here. Even with my Zippo pipe lighter, the flame blows into my knuckle(s) and burns the crap out of me. Painful and frustrating!

Our house has no buffer zones, so it looks like I'll either have to resort to a torch, or learn to live with it. The really sad thing is right now, like most mornings, it's totally calm, but I'm not in the mood for a bowl!

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Zippo - Pipe insert is your best bet - if that can't do it you'll probably need to start your pipe somewhere calmer.
If you have a Zippo, you already have the best lighter for wind in my opinion. ?‍♂️
Yep, I have the Zippo Pipe Lighter. It even has the little pipe emblem on it. I'll have to try holding my pipe sideways, and see if that helps, or just take a pass when it gets too windy. ?

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
When I've been in windy conditions and have been asked to only smoke outdoors, I've lit my pipe indoors or in the doorway and gone outside. When asked if I have been smoking indoors because someone smells tobacco, I of course say, "No, some may have drifted indoors when I closed the door. Sorry". Wind problem solved. :)

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
make sure the wick is trimmed and also the sideways pipe thing helps you can hold the lighter straight up and down. I feel your pain as the winds where I smoke are kind of erratic. You think you're doing good and then opps.
Oops is putting it mildly, lol.

My lighter is new, and the wick is about 1/4 inch and looks good, so I don't think that should be a problem. The real problem is just too much wing and no shelter.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
For soft-flame butane lighters, Myon Pipeflams do well in the wind:
P1060351.JPG
P1060353.JPG
P1060352.JPG
P1060350.JPG

Or, you could go with something that runs on straight methanol ?. These can be hard to put out without using the snuffer-cap:
IMG_2045.JPG
IMG_2084.JPG

??? ?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Reactions: kcghost