Wife Willing To Find My Pipes A New Home.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
The wife blind sided me today asking if I would like a cabinet to store my pipes in instead of a drawer in the office. She is not find of the regular display case and two cousins cabinets are out of business. She likes the look humidors but I worry that it made damage the pipes, I checked and you can get them without the humidifier installed so that looks like the option.

My question is any particular cabinet or places to purchase from? I have not seen anything on site sponsor list. Any help and pictures would be great.

Somewhere around 40ish pipes and as many of you have seen most are clenchers and none over 7 in.
Holy crap...haven't done a head count until now! Seems like my PAD is satisfied....for now...

Thanks again for your support!

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I have been looking on Etsy as well but she did not find approval for them, she said the look too "barnish"...not judging ...or anything!

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Have a local craftsman make a custom one.
Good Carpenters are hard to find, especially since they are more into remodeling homes/kitchens than making a cabinet.

I would get one without glass on front.. but that's just me.
otherwise you could just find a curio or china cabinet on craigslist.
I keep all my pipes in a man's armoire.
I haven looked on Craig's list yet, I suppose that may be a viable option for such a cabinet.

I remember seeing another forum member's cabinet configured for pipes..it was awesome looking, a real classy set up. I can't seem to find that post anylonger.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'll try to snap a pic tonight if I can..
my thing has a door that looks like a door on an old desk (opens flat out)
then a cabinet on bottom with two shelves..
the top opens and has a tray I use to hold lighters, pouches, tampers, etc etc.

it's almost too small tho... don't tell my wife because it's not small lol

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I'd agree with BROBS -- no need to pay extra for a humidor quality cabinet. A general purpose armoire, curio or china cabinet would be less expensive and work fine. May need to buy some pipe stands to put in it. Good luck!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Another vote on avoiding the humidor... unless you want to fill it with fine cigars of course puffy

The reason I say this is because humidors are designed for the lid or door to have a very close fit so that the humidor is in essence "air tight", or at least as air tight as wood can be. Of course accomplishing that task requires a pretty painstaking level of detail on part of the builder, and the benefit is totally lost if you just use it as a cabinet to store your pipes. To put the cost of a well-built humidor into perspective, I have an Ashton / Savoy humidor that's maybe eighteen inches wide by twelve inches deep (just estimating) and I think it cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $400.

Along the lines of what others have said, just keep your eye out for a cool antique cabinet or maybe find someone to make one for you. Neither option will necessarily be cheap, but it could be something you'll have and enjoy for the rest of your life, which could make the purchase well worth it.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I'd agree with BROBS -- no need to pay extra for a humidor quality cabinet. A general purpose armoire, curio or china cabinet would be less expensive and work fine. May need to buy some pipe stands to put in it. Good luck!
That's what they are in now an Ikea cabinet and the drawers are filled with tins..I enjoy a cool pipe stand but maybe I need to sell off some of these pipes because 40 stands look crazy and take up way to much space!

I will keep looking there's no rush, I can always find something to wrap and place under the tree!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If this is a holiday gift, maybe it could be a cash gift toward the cabinet. I think the best approach might be to find something in an antique store, flea market, or yard sale to repurpose. Having one built is a good idea, but in general, it is expensive.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Those ones above are very nice. I have an inexpensive all glass cabinet from Ikea that I like. It's in the corner away from sunlight and looks really nice.

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.