PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I was looking at new pipes and came across this pipe that I kind of like then I see it is $1410.00. I realize I'm not as knowledgeable as most on this site, so I have to ask what some may think is a dumb question. What does this pipe do that my 30 dollar MM Emerald or my 200 dollar eagle claw Meers doesn't? does it make the whole tobacco experience orgasmic? or am I just cheap and missing the point?
View attachment 328526
The similar Rattrays Fachen 110 is around $103.00 ish.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I personally do not care how one would spend their money, nor do I force my opinions or make judgments of choices or questions from others.
The whole point of my question was to get a little feed back on why someone would spend that much on a pipe
I have a fairly large number of pipes, of which the majority are estates, with quite a few costing less than $50.
I have only 2-3 costing >$1000.
One is a rare Barling briar kalmasch with beautiful silverwork.
And 2 by artisans I really, really wanted to own - Asami Kikuchi and Anne Julie.
As I am usually a solitary smoker, they are for my selfish pleasure alone.
Other than posting on WAYS.

Against this I have bottles of wine and spirits worth several hundred to several thousand dollars.
Unlike a pipe which will outlive me if cared for, a bottle once drunk is but a memory.

Why ?
Wine is, and has been a passion of mine since I was an undergraduate.
I have friends who are equally passionate about wine.
And like me, love to share our bottles.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Because someone, sooner or later, will pay that much for it. Does a $1400 pipe smoke ten times as well as a $140 pipe, or a hundred times as well as a $14 cob? I have my doubts. For my money, a cob or a relatively inexpensive briar like a Ropp or Genod is as good as it gets.

Reactions: SSGT.
Status
Not open for further replies.