PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I pay for aesthetics, fit and finish and drills. I can't and won't argue that a mostly priced pipe can smoke great. I have several that do. I do find carvers I prefer such as Howell, Rubio, Alden and Cermak p provide a fit, finish and drills that appeal to me. And their pipes I own smoke great. I also like the aesthetics in what they carve. I can avoid what I buy without any financial sacrifices to any other facet of my life. If recommend this be a high priority consideration to all pipe smokers. Purchasing a pipe you can't afford is highly unlikely to deliver a more satisfying smoke after the honeymoon smokes end.

SSGT.

Lurker
Jul 7, 2024
Sealy Texas
The small apple and small claw are hand carved by me and a Dremel tool. I bought two block meerschaum pipe kits for $68 dollars each, used a picture for the apple and tried to duplicate my $200 claw. The Apple took me a week and the claw was a 6 week effort. As far as the smoke goes there is no difference but do enjoy the pride of smoking the ones I made much more. That being said I still do not see the pull of a $1400 pipe.

And no I do not wear grey overalls and live in an apartment I am a Dr of Veterinary Medicine and own a 180 acre cattle ranch.
mine.jpgclaw2.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Why buy a Rolls, Bentley or Maybach when a Toyota will get you from A to B as well, if not in the same level of comfort/luxury ?
On a less rarefied level, why a Lexus rather than a Toyota ?

I have a friend who lives very frugally, but flies first class and gets picked up at HK airport by the Peninsula Hotel's Rolls
Why ? Because it's the touch of luxury in his otherwise frugal lifestyle.
I will never understand it, but it's HIS money, and HIS choice cray

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
The small apple and small claw are hand carved by me and a Dremel tool. I bought two block meerschaum pipe kits for $68 dollars each, used a picture for the apple and tried to duplicate my $200 claw. The Apple took me a week and the claw was a 6 week effort. As far as the smoke goes there is no difference but do enjoy the pride of smoking the ones I made much more. That being said I still do not see the pull of a $1400 pipe.

And no I do not wear grey overalls and live in an apartment I am a Dr of Veterinary Medicine and own a 180 acre cattle ranch.
View attachment 328579View attachment 328580
Great job on that claw!

Reactions: Choatecav

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That being said I still do not see the pull of a $1400 pipe.

Different strokes 😏

There is another cattle rancher on the forums with a fine collection of Castellos.
Why ? He likes them

Someone else collects a large number of $20 factory pipes and smokes RYO bulk tobacco, although he can afford to spend more.
Why, because that’s what he likes

If I see something that I like, be it a pipe or a bottle of wine, I’ll buy it.
So long as the bills are paid and there’s food on the table
It’s disposable income to spend as I wish
Simple 😁

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Im only willing to spend so much on one pipe. I usually buy estates and they tend to range from 120-200. I have cheaper pipes that smoke just as well but I appreciate the design and craftsmanship. If you expect a 1000 dollar pipe to smoke 100 times better than a cob you will be disappointed. If you arent into pipe for the aesthetics you are missing nothing.

Im currently bidding on some cheap well made machine made pipes. They happen to have nice blasts. The finish isnt great but I plan on changing it. I enjoy refurbing and staining pipes. There are a lot of ways to get what you want unless a 1400 dollar pipe is what you want. Personally, that specific pipe is nice but it doesnt scream 1400 bucks to me.

Reactions: Choatecav and SSGT.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

So you live on a 180 acre ranch but you can't understand why someone would pay $1400 for a pipe? Curious. Does living on a ranch guarantee you a lifespan of 120? Do you hear the angels' trumpets at dawn? I bet you don't, it's just that you chose to live on a 180 acre ranch and that's perfectly right. Same with pipes, cars, shirts, etc. Maybe you're measuring others by your own scale of values and you're surprised that they don't match up.

Reactions: jpberg

SSGT.

Lurker
Jul 7, 2024
Sealy Texas
So you live on a 180 acre ranch but you can't understand why someone would pay $1400 for a pipe? Curious. Does living on a ranch guarantee you a lifespan of 120? Do you hear the angels' trumpets at dawn? I bet you don't, it's just that you chose to live on a 180 acre ranch and that's perfectly right. Same with pipes, cars, shirts, etc. Maybe you're measuring others by your own scale of values and you're surprised that they don't match up.
No none of these and I personally do not care how one would spend their money, nor do I force my opinions or make judgments of choices or questions from others.
The whole point of my question was to get a little feed back on why someone would spend that much on a pipe, Which was answered by different theories of from those that enjoy their various pipes, and I'm good with that. I never intended to create a battle of wits with the totally unarmed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

Well done on carving your own. Were they pre-drilled and stem fitted?

As to the photos, not enough detail. If you use a lighter background, more light and get closer, we can see the detail of your work. Looks promising!

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
$1400 isn't even very expensive in the pipe world. Some makers start at 2x that.
It's all about the craftsman.
Many of these makers only carver a dozen or so pipes a year.
It's absolutely not their "fault" their pipes are so expensive. It's the consumer collectors and the supply and demand market.
If the are only 2 "Teddy Eagles" that come to market a year, the price isn't an issue if you want it.
My friends think I'm crazy for buying a $4000 handgun, but, it's one big purchase that doesn't happen often. Most of my other handguns are sub $700.
I know of pipers who have ONE $1000+ pipe and all the rest are sub $100.
I USED to buy high end pipes but ive sold or traded most. I have a few left that I will be selling.
As others have mentioned.....
Why buy a Mercedes when a Hyundai will get you the same places?

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
A

Actually, an F1 goes for 8-12 million euro while a P1 goes for a touch under 2 million. Still the buyer's choice as you said.
That's true in the collector's prices. I was quoting original retail not auction. F1 is highly collectible now since 1990s when it came out and fetches a collector's premium. F1 was about 800,000 USD in 1994 not counting inflation. But you understood my point. Value is intrinsic and sentiment based, with one or the other taking priority. With higher ends pipes it's sentiment that is the priority. Fundamentally a pipe is wood to hold tobacco that smolders. Wood being equal the value remainder is perceived.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
No none of these and I personally do not care how one would spend their money, nor do I force my opinions or make judgments of choices or questions from others.
The whole point of my question was to get a little feed back on why someone would spend that much on a pipe, Which was answered by different theories of from those that enjoy their various pipes, and I'm good with that. I never intended to create a battle of wits with the totally unarmed.
No doubt. I could tell you were wicked sharp when you asked the original question.
On a pipe forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.