PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

damacene

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
My generation all seems like it’s on the spectrum. My moms a teacher and I hear horror stories. I think we all should have gotten our asses kicked a little more.
There might be something to that. I was raised by liberal boomers who were over indulgent because they didn't want to be like their parents; so I don't know if the lack of ass kickings is a factor as much as being raised on the internet and social media. I'm one of the last age groups that remembers what life was like before the internet. You actually had to interact with people to do most things. Even when the internet was readily accessible you still used it seldom and couldn't use your phoneline while surfing the web. Absent parents who had to work their asses off in the modern economy to provide and children left to be raised by the internet and social media(with all of the bizarre social phenomena that emerged from it) created this broken, socially awkward, reclusive, and overly sensitive generation.

While we're talking about what fucked up this generation, lets add in parents buying their kids cars like they are spoiled brats living off of hedge funds. Just stop it people. My sister and I worked our asses off to buy our cars, and when my kids came of age all of their damned friends started showing up in free cars from their parents. I made my daughters work their asses off when they turned 15, mowing yards, baby sitting, walking dogs, and helping neighbors with feeding livestock. They had a good down payment by the time they turned 16, and I co-signed, but they paid everything, even insurance. It keeps them from being teens with hundreds of dollars in their pockets to start picking up really bad habits.

I don't know what started this asshole parent generation of buying their kids cars, but I have very little respect for you guys.

Clip

Lurker
May 14, 2024
Southern Indiana
There might be something to that. I was raised by liberal boomers who were over indulgent because they didn't want to be like their parents; so I don't know if the lack of ass kickings is a factor as much as being raised on the internet and social media. I'm one of the last age groups that remembers what life was like before the internet. You actually had to interact with people to do most things. Even when the internet was readily accessible you still used it seldom and couldn't use your phoneline while surfing the web. Absent parents who had to work their asses off in the modern economy to provide and children left to be raised by the internet and social media(with all of the bizarre social phenomena that emerged from it) created this broken, socially awkward, reclusive, and overly sensitive generation.
That’s why I like brick and mortars. Even though it’s more pricey, you build rapport with the owner, talk to other pipe smokers in person, and smoke with new people. As much as I like this forum, it will never match hanging out in person. I think we can all agree on that.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The best part about being young, was when they sold the retired bucking bulls for hamburger, I was the only kid quick and spry enough to stand there and listen to the bulls banging the bars on the sale ring, and the auctioneer bantering with the ringmaster over the open microphone

Watch out there Froggy, he seems to be in love with you

What’s that?

You’d like to buy him for your mother in law?

Maybe you could train him to ride your grandkids around

If there was a waitress up on the cat walk she’d look down at me and start crying, and the auctioneer’s wife who clerked the sale looked like she could murder him, over the show

But I dodged all of them, every one, except an old Brown Swiss milk cow that broke JD’s arm and put a three inch gash in my head where she tossed me against a pen rail.

I drove myself to the Humansville Hospital and got it stitched up (at my expense) and went back and finshed the sale.

Years later the auction barns quit selling ex rodeo bulls when Armour quit buying them.

But in 1975 the vet who worked the barn made two or three thousand dollars every Friday, and paid two boys a dollar an hour each to help him.

And he’d complain about them, while JD and I watched.

I once heard one of those brothers say to the other

W-Why does the penners get t-t-two dowwars and ff-fifty and we ownly gets a dowwar?

The other said —- Theys smart and goin’ to be somebody, that’s why

And I thought, it’s because you don’t work for the Cattlemen Auction Company who pays a decent wage.

But I didn’t say anything, you know?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Tonight I ordered a pizza from a nearby pizzeria. The actual ordering went smoothly enough. The problem was paying for it.

When asked for the expiration date on my card I said, "November 2026".

After a pause, the guy taking my order said, "Can you repeat that?"

"November 2026."

Another long pause.

"I'm sorry, can you repeat that again?"

"November 2026"

An even longer pause

"Could you give me the numbers, please?"

We are doomed.
You ran into someone from the dumb end of the bell curve. There has always been more of them than smart ones. Just don't let them take charge (okay, maybe you're right and we're doomed).

Reactions: fireground_piper
The best part about being young, was when they sold the retired bucking bulls for hamburger, I was the only kid quick and spry enough to stand there and listen to the bulls banging the bars on the sale ring, and the auctioneer bantering with the ringmaster over the open microphone

Watch out there Froggy, he seems to be in love with you

What’s that?

You’d like to buy him for your mother in law?

Maybe you could train him to ride your grandkids around

If there was a waitress up on the cat walk she’d look down at me and start crying, and the auctioneer’s wife who clerked the sale looked like she could murder him, over the show

But I dodged all of them, every one, except an old Brown Swiss milk cow that broke JD’s arm and put a three inch gash in my head where she tossed me against a pen rail.

I drove myself to the Humansville Hospital and got it stitched up (at my expense) and went back and finshed the sale.

Years later the auction barns quit selling ex rodeo bulls when Armour quit buying them.

But in 1975 the vet who worked the barn made two or three thousand dollars every Friday, and paid two boys a dollar an hour each to help him.

And he’d complain about them, while JD and I watched.

I once heard one of those brothers say to the other

W-Why does the penners get t-t-two dowwars and ff-fifty and we ownly gets a dowwar?

The other said —- Theys smart and goin’ to be somebody, that’s why

And I thought, it’s because you don’t work for the Cattlemen Auction Company who pays a decent wage.

But I didn’t say anything, you know?

Objection, relevance!
You're programming is glitched there, councel. You'll need to update your AI programming, because these stories are completely irrelevant to the thread. You either need to piss on this generation or explain why the rest of us are completely offbase in complaining about them.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
A lot of kids today don't even bother with driving.
Do you blame them tho? The costs to drive and “own” a car are pretty expensive between the monthly car payments, gas, maintenance, and insurance. Hell, if I didn’t have an hour and a half commute I wouldn’t be driving either. I got around my city on bicycle and bus for well over five years and it was great. Saved a ton of money.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
Do you blame them tho? The costs to drive and “own” a car are pretty expensive between the monthly car payments, gas, maintenance, and insurance. Hell, if I didn’t have an hour and a half commute I wouldn’t be driving either. I got around my city on bicycle and bus for well over five years and it was great. Saved a ton of money.

Man I couldn't wait to drive. Hell I even started a little early, because I had already bought my truck and I just got tired of waiting.

When I was a teenager, mid 2000s, gas was like 4 bucks a gallon. It's now under $3.

Personally I think they're just weird from all the social media and propaganda. I'm not trying to shit on 'em... Hell I'm pulling for them. I believe they're victims.

My kid's not like that, knock on wood, but I've never let a phone screen babysit him either.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Man I couldn't wait to drive. Hell I even started a little early, because I had already bought my truck and I just got tired of waiting.

When I was a teenager, mid 2000s, gas was like 4 bucks a gallon. It's now under $3.

Personally I think they're just weird from all the social media and propaganda. I'm not trying to shit on 'em... Hell I'm pulling for them. I believe they're victims.

My kid's not like that, knock on wood, but I've never let a phone screen babysit him either.
I see a big difference in kids who grew up inside a city and those who grew up in a suburb of out in a rural area and I think that needs to be taken into account. I grew up in the sticks and in the mid 90s I was driving, because I wanted to and because I had too.

Here in my city I have plenty of ways to commute to work and stores on a bicycle and can do it year round. I also have access to public transportation.

When I was married my step daughter didn’t want to drive right away. Everything she needed she could walk to or take a bus. Hee minimum wage grocery store job wasn’t enough for her to buy and maintain a car.

Those years I rode primarily in my bike were pretty great once I accepted I’d have to rent or borrow a car if I wanted to head out of town for anything. I loved how much cash I saved during those years.

But now I’ve had a car again for some time because I need it. Sucks I have to pay for it but I have a career that allows me to afford having one. If I didn’t need a car, and had other means to get to where I needed to go, why would I piss away my money on one?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Objection, relevance!
You're programming is glitched there, councel. You'll need to update your AI programming, because these stories are completely irrelevant to the thread. You either need to piss on this generation or explain why the rest of us are completely offbase in complaining about them.

Because my mother and father took me to the Humansville Christian Church three times each week from birth, and because I read and discussed the red letters in the Gospels countless times, and learned all those old ballads, and because I had wonderful school teachers at Humansville Schools, I realize just how blessed and privileged I am to be born in the greatest civilization that has ever existed under the sun, and I cannot and will not disparage those less fortunate.

There might really be a Judgement Day, at least for those of us that read Matthew 25.

Even the kids who rode the short bus could and did get jobs.

Although they had to endure others exploiting them and poking fun at them.

I’m an old man now, but I remember when I wasn’t.

And mark me down as being on the side of youth against all us geezers.

Our time to chase rodeo bulls into pens was a long time ago, you know?

Besides, there needs to be a few old men to not talk shit against the country, because children listen.

They always have listened

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I remember sitting in the barber shop once and the old men were making the usual gripes on how bad times were, how lazy kids were, and what an awful world it was in general, unlike the Great Depression times they grew up in.

One old man took out his can of Prince Albert and said

This costs a quarter today and I can remember when it only cost a dime.

And another old man beside him said when it cost a dime you couldn’t afford it

Now you could fill up your car trunk with Prince Albert cans from selling just one feeder calf

How many feeder calves do you own now, compared to then?

Daddy didn’t say anything, but he looked at me and winked

The pessimist dies thousands of times, the optimist gets his shot at heaven

Reactions: jackattack