PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Hackers fish for passwords. Once in possession of that, everything you do with accounts that use that password can also be hacked.

That's why it's important to not duplicate PW's.

BUT: My banking online has very secure passwords, all different. So do any others that require a CC. Sites where there's nothing at risk may share a PW with others. And ones that are easy to type!
Whatever. My profile won’t be changed. If in your view I have failed to extend a “small courtesy” to you and others, I am really sorry. NOT.

Reactions: olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It all depends on the intention of the data-miner.

Some search for passwords, some fish for E-mails, some look at content posted. Again, it all depends on what the snooper wants to do: a foreign hacker wanting 'free cash' via card numbers and PINs has a different intention and MO than a gov't agent sussing out who's trying to sneak in tobacco without paying duties (among other 'unpatriotic' behaviours/posts/opinions).

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Ah, I was on my Mac. That’s pretty strange that it’s protected on one device and not on another!

Can’t be a difficult fix, can it?
I just looked at the site on the DuckDuckGo iOS browser, which does a good job of protecting your privacy. They give this site a D rating for the following reason— mind you, I have no idea what this actually means:

2EB8F564-6192-467E-A12B-D9D97738ECBD.jpeg

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I just want to clarify ... most people’s address is actually public records. Many municipalities in US (Or at least mine) put your name and address as a public record. So the incremental risk of getting hacked because you put a address in the forum is low.

As I explained earlier... I don’t put a location not in fear of getting hacked, but I don’t see a point
Exactly this. Of course it is everyone's own business and prerogative to put their city or state, or country or not. However, if you have ever written your address down on anything in your life. Someone can find you. I for one really don't check others' profiles. The only time I see where someone is from is on the new members thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
If I read an interesting post that I suspect is from somewhere other that North America, I might look to see if the poster's location is listed. It gives me more insight into different perspectives from people around the world. It raises our awareness.
As to passwords, a basic safety measure is that they all be unique to the site/program you are on/in. This thread has given me a new idea for my future passwords...incorporate the make of the current pipe I am smoking, the model number, and style, or tobacco blend, etc.

Reactions: edger
Well... I guess we should do this, so that if someone asks a question about which pipe is best, we can better figure out what the current trend is in your area. Or, before we ask if someone wants a sample of a unicorn blend, we can first check to see if shipping is going to be outrageous.
Or, maybe if we are unsure if someone is just rude by nature, being an intentional dickhead, or is just from New Jersey... puffy

Reactions: edger and LOREN
Status
Not open for further replies.