PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer your question in a more serious tone

1. First question you need to ask - How useful it is. I have seen forum members making erroneous assumptions about the location of a thread, when just two posts above the post, the member has indicated the location as a part of his comment. For example today a hobby seller forum member from UK is getting advice on US payment methods.

2. The second point also is on usefulness, but from a different angle. Forum members often share their personal information and if you are empathetic, you will pick up and remember personal details

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
To answer your question in a more serious tone

1. First question you need to ask - How useful it is. I have seen forum members making erroneous assumptions about the location of a thread, when just two posts above the post, the member has indicated the location as a part of his comment. For example today a hobby seller forum member from UK is getting advice on US payment methods.
The few who miss a mention in a post as to location would also benefit from being able to click and see. I think it's quite useful.

2. The second point also is on usefulness, but from a different angle. Forum members often share their personal information and if you are empathetic, you will pick up and remember personal details

It's not about friends or acquaintances here. I know where maybe 2 dozen folks are. That doesn't help with the hundreds of others.

~ Mark Z.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
In the FTT forum location is encouraged because much discussion relates to tobacco growing, processing, and storage, and climate matters a lot, and affects answers to questions. Also, there are a lot of questions regarding importation and shipping of tobacco, or availability of seeds.

In this forum, I think it's odd not knowing where people are from, but I also see how it doesn't really matter in most cases.

1. While no downside, my opinion on human nature - Very fee would bother to look up the location

2. I personally love to exercise my brain capacity, so I prefer to remember what I read. Look up comes later.

The few who miss a mention in a post as to location would also benefit from being able to click and see. I think it's quite useful.

It's not about friends or acquaintances here. I know where maybe 2 dozen folks are. That doesn't help with the hundreds of others.

~ Mark Z.

Well as a fun exercise.,let me see how many personal facts I know about you

1. You are from California. This was supposed to be easy, as I believe you have put your location on profile, but I have not looked it up.

2. Your name is John

3. You are the person who evangelizes water cleaning of pipes

4. You are married

5. You have tried to grow a beard / mustache multiple times in your life, but they did not agree with you so you are clean shaven

6. You watch a lot of sports on TV

7. You use golf tees as tampers, so I believe you play a lot of golf

8. You smoke in your car when your wife is present

9. You drive German cars, and I am inclined to guess these are Mercedes. In fact, last 7-9 of your cars were German

10. Your hobby is photography but after a wedding shoot, you decided that you will not shoot wedding any more

I got 10 facts about you just by remembering your posts

Yes, there are many times when location is totally irrelevant. But when it does matter—maybe 15-20% of the time—it's such a small thing to take two minutes to appease those who care.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Well as a fun exercise.,let me see how many personal facts I know about you

1. You are from California. This was supposed to be easy, as I believe you have put your location on profile, but I have not looked it up.

2. Your name is John

3. You are the person who evangelizes water cleaning of pipes

4. You are married

5. You have tried to grow a beard / mustache multiple times in your life, but they did not agree with you so you are clean shaven

6. You watch a lot of sports on TV

7. You use golf tees as tampers, so I believe you play a lot of golf

8. You smoke in your car when your wife is present

9. You drive German cars, and I am inclined to guess these are Mercedes. In fact, last 7-9 of your cars were German

10. Your hobby is photography but after a wedding shoot, you decided that you will not shoot wedding any more

I got 10 facts about you just by remembering your posts
Man, I have trouble just remembering my wedding anniversary! Also, I have almost missed my own birthday before.. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.