PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Woodsman

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2022
Hi all,

Why is it that I can put the same tobacco in the same pipe and one day it will be a nice cool smoke, I can taste and smell the Aro ....the next it can be like smoking raw charcoal...all burnt and really rather unpleasant??? I keep my pipes clean, smoke slowly, pack light (Frank method) and try to char light gently.

Thanks for advice!

Tony

Reactions: FLDRD

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So many variables and so much circumstantial differences.
Let alone other irrational subjective factors.

I have served up the same wine ie from the same bottle, but from different decanters in a lineup of wines and have people declare them to be different wines.
I have no doubt been guilty of making that very same mistake.
By coincidence I was discussing this very issue with a few wine mates at lunch yesterday

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
I agree with the variable that others have stated. Because there are so many variables, hitting that sweet spot seems makes the experience that much better. I think thats part of the fun with smoking pipes and also contributes to why pipe smokers keep coming back to their pipes.

Reactions: niblicck

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Packing & mindset. Some days, I'm just not in the mood. I'm restless, fretting, I won't be able to sit in contemplation as I must do when puffing. Worst of all, I might be interrupted. It has to be the right time, and I must practice technical excellence in packing. The latter I can better control.

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
This is one of the most frustrating things about Pipes IMO.
There are so many factors that can effect it
Slight variations in packing
What you ate or drank right before
Drying time (or no drying time)
Mood at the time etc...

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I went through this early on. Some smokes were like spiritual experiences, others left me longing for mouthwash and a cigarette.

I think it took enough of those "ah-ha" moments for me to achieve consistent smokes. Now it's subconscious. I couldn't tell ya how long I dry blends, I just go by feel when I pull it from a hard. Then I just stuff and puff.

Time is your friend here. And don't over think the process.
Hope ya find your consistency soon

Reactions: LotusEater

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
I recall that the very first time I smoked Samuel Gawith Brown No. 4
It was a hot summer day. The tobacco tasted so freaking spicy and I felt like someone punched my nose, so I threw it in my cellar.
Until one day the cold snap hits in winter. I took the No.4 out and smoked it again.
It gave me a strong, decent scent. I could taste the earthy, mildly creamy sweet. Such a big surprise!
I finished that tin within a week.

Reactions: trudger

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Having everything same as your good smoke, but feel like not as good, and taste like burnt tobacco means you are puffing too fast.

Your cadence is not there yet. Or you think everything is same but not really.

It will resolve itself in good time. More experience is what you need. After awhile, you won't think about drying, packing, and smoking cadence mainly because you are so used to it. Until then, you just need to do same thing you are doing minding to dry, pack loose and sip. Of course, adjust them if things are off.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
In my experience, smokes can vary so much because...
It's raining
the humidity is low
It's cold out
It's hot out
it's the perfect temperature
It's windy
It's calm
Or because...
the pipe has not been rested since the last smoke
the pipe has rested a day--or a week
because I have not smoked much that day or the last few days
or because I have been smoking more than usual that day or the last few days
or because I have been smoking some other type of tobacco lately, which makes the present tobacco taste better or worse or just different from what I believed it to taste like....
because I've gotten down to the bottom of the bag where there are more tobacco crumbs, which burn differently....
because the tobacco itself has changed due to a little aging, or exposure to air, or something else..
I could go on. These are just things that first come to mind. Personally, as someone who smokes the same straight burley blend day after day, I like the variations. I consider them to be part of the magic of smoking a pipe

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It was mentioned a few times already, but humidity is the single biggest factor to my smoking pleasure. I'm someone who likes to do things the same way every time. Drink the same drinks, eat the same food, smoke the same tobaccos, out of the same pipes. I've been drying and packing my tobacco the same way every time for a many years now. But if the humidity in my area is over say...60 percent, the smoke will be hot, wet, flavorless garbage. All that time drying my tobacco for nothing.

sugardaddy

Lurker
Sep 30, 2022
I've definitely noticed the sweetness of my prior food or drink severely affecting my tobacco taste