PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I guess it has something to do with nicotine and it is an oral fixation as well.
But to be honest, I love the taste of tobacco and the look of the instrument, the pipe itself. It is the best way of stress relief especially if I have a good book to read meanwhile. As some of you already mentioned before, it works also as a "dessert" after a good meal (along with a stout). And there is nothing better than smoking a good latakia blend in a freezing night. Cold weather, smell of snow and smoke is my favourite combination. I already miss winter, gosh.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
All of the above reasons are good enough for me. But there's also the learning of a new skill that gives you immediate feedback (ouch, tongue bite!). The sense of "listening" to the pipe as I smoke and changing my cadence/technique depending on what the pipe/tobacco is telling me.

That's what makes the pipe more appealing to me than other forms of tobacco such as cigars (nothing against them at all, of course, but I prefer those in a social setting went I don't want to have to focus on the technique of smoking a pipe). It's a skill that I imagine one continues to develop over the years as one's taste changes, one acquires new pipes and tobaccos, etc.

And finally, because you can argue over which type of lighter or matches is the best to use with your pipe! Can't do that with cigarettes!