PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Simple answer for me, relaxing and fun. I mostly smoke alone in a place of solitude.

With that said, there was another thread on here for HAM radio pipe smokers. I would say that the dynamic that I see on here amongst pipe smokers is similar with HAMs. It's a niche sub culture that is very enjoyable to hang around as we discuss pipes, tobaccos and all things b.s.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I don’t meditate, but I do engage in several activities that encourage quiet reflection. From most effective to least effective for me:
  1. Journaling with a fountain pen.
  2. Long, slow walking in nature.
  3. Pipe smoking.
  4. Motorcycle riding.
Now, riding a motorcycle to a lonely lake, and sitting there while writing and smoking a pipe? That’s the real business.

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
I'm really enjoying seeing these responses. Many are things I think (relaxing, the ritual, the pipe as functional art...etc.) Some great comedians in there too. You all are the best.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, this is a little thoughty, or worse yet, New Age, but it's a centering thing for me. Rather than taking walks and reading books (though I occasionally get to those) my retirement has been a lot of scrambling around, multi-tasking, and making appointments with myself to cut my fingernails. So to put my ass in a chair and observe a ritual is a long way toward finding my own thoughts. Which often come as a surprise.

SystemSig

Lurker
Mar 31, 2020
The feel of briar in hand, constant reminder of craftsmanship, coaxing an ember to the very bottom of the bowl, each smoke working to get more efficient, first light of a full bowl, tobacco expanding, bountiful. The expectation that this smoke will be as good or better than the last.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I always wanted to be like Sherlock Holmes and Albert Einstein.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
since I've started smoking my pipe, I've found a little peace within myself. Something that has been absent for a long while in my life. I am grateful for that.

Old School 3319 said:

Because it's not legal to kill people who annoy you

Both brilliant replies, one a solution to peace and the other a testimony to a practice engendering it.

I smoked because I loved the aspects of pipe smoking. It brought me into the company of those who thought and who had some practice putting their thought into words. Have you read cigar forums?

Because there was a lot to learn, and I love to learn.

Because pipe smoking in general was delicious, and the varieties of tobacco staggering, and thus beguiling.

Because the pipe as a tool for burning tobacco and delivering smoke to a mouth watering for it was worthy of a studied adoration.

I smoked in a different lifetime, but by memory l live parallel to it.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Simple answer for me, relaxing and fun. I mostly smoke alone in a place of solitude.

With that said, there was another thread on here for HAM radio pipe smokers. I would say that the dynamic that I see on here amongst pipe smokers is similar with HAMs. It's a niche sub culture that is very enjoyable to hang around as we discuss pipes, tobaccos and all things b.s.

As a ham myself (Hence the CW), I agree!

73 CW

Reactions: Bowie

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Huh I don't think I've ever been asked why....

I think I like it cause I can smoke all day long, constantly, and not get fatigued by it. And I really love nicotine. There were many years where I smoked cigs, cigars, my pipe, dipped, and had snuff with me. All in one day.