Why Post Photos of Your Pipes

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I was going to recommend a tripod and then wondered what the ramifications of that might be . . . but, I, too, would be curious to see the pipes (not the pipe) in their current state. It always throws me off when I see the Three Nuns tin and it doesn't match what's being smoked.
See, I wasn't reading the text, just scrolling the pics. I just assumed he was a 3Nuns fiend.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I built the collection to be displayed and seen at pipe shows but unfortunately the hobby has pretty much moved on from that so photo updates are how I show off. I’m not skilled at or enjoy taking pipe pictures so they end up looking like mug shots.

Reactions: OzPiper and JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I happen to love pipe pictures. I usually get some good ideas of shapes to buy. Since I sold over 6o pipes I kept al my favorites.

My latest Jack HoweMy second last Jack Howell

I plenty more pipes but i am getting board.
Great photos. Who took them? I know you didn't you ham fisted cretin!

(PS It's not nice to omit photo credits.)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just spent half an hour on smokingpipes and there were maybe half a dozen artisan pipes I might consider buying, the rest are for shit. I want my pipes to look like a pipe, not some alien piece of shit from another dimension. Call me boring but I like what like.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If so, then color me boring as well. I can admire the craftsmanship on some of the odd balls, but would not be happy smoking them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I keep thinking- how can we help folks take decent- or better- photos of pipes?
With no spot metering used, not shooting dark pipes on a light background is No. One, I think. Jesse? Warren? Others?

And how do we get that across without seeming critical?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
and at what point does it become keep up with the Jones' scenario. Really.
Not interested with keeping up with the Jones
More like leaving them behind in my dust rotf

I kid. I kid. ;)

BUT, if it weren't for all the pix posted on these Forums, no way would I have ended up with the shit-load of pipes I now have :eek:

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not interested with keeping up with the Jones
More like leaving them behind in my dust rotf

I kid. I kid. ;)

BUT, if it weren't for all the pix posted on these Forums, no way would I have ended up with the shit-load of pipes I now have :eek:
That's an interesting take. The pipe's I've collected don't reflect what I've seen here over the years

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm Jonesin' every day...for caffeine as soon as I wake up...and for some Perique a little later.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That's an interesting take. The pipe's I've collected don't reflect what I've seen here over the years
Ah, but I've noticed increased interest in Savinelli 904s, no doubt due to you posting your sizeable collection a couple of years ago. Along with interest in meers.

I was fairly indifferent to olive wood pipes until I saw the mind-bogglingly beautiful L'Anatra olive wood pipe posted by ex-member Anthony Rosenthal a few years ago.

Members who have been smoking 30-40 years are probably not so interested in seeing more pics. They're more likely to have a "seen one, seen them all" attitude.

But for newcomers to pipes, pics allow them to see, and educate them in what is available.

Reactions: Toast