Why Not Clean your Pipe After every Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Dunhill’s and other pipes with Vulcanite, Ashtonite, Ebonite or Cumberland always get a stem polish. Every pipe gets a cleaner passed, flipped and passed again. If it’s a pipe that I want caked
I let the cake develop and scrape as needed with a pipe nail to keep the cake uniform. If it’s a meer or morta It gets a paper towel reaming.
Peterson systems get a q- tip swabbing of the reservoir after every smoke as well as above.
Then I have beater pipes for the garage, the shop and the yard work.
Those pipes get abused dumped out and abused again and lit with
a BIC. Charred and tarred so to speak.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I run a pipe cleaner through after each smoke, then fold the pipe cleaner and swirl it round the bowl a time or two. If I don't happen to have a pipe cleaner, I blow through the pipe and think: "Better use a pipe cleaner next time." I wipe the stem (usually on the tail of my shirt). When cake gets a little thick, I scrape a bit with a dullish pocket knife knife or czech pipe tool. That's it.

Reactions: litup and PaulRVA
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Depends on my time. I'll at least run a pipe cleaner through and clear out any moisture. Other than that, I'll usually clean any pipes I smoked a day or 3 later when they start piling up.

Reactions: PaulRVA

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I don't put too much thought into cleaning my pipes. Like most here I run a pipe cleaner or two through after a smoke.

I only deep clean when I start to notice muted flavors, but I've been thinking of just deep cleaning on a set schedule. Maybe every 4 months or so.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I’ve gotten a bit lazy. But I smoke dry and always wipe out the bowl with a paper towel and run a pipe cleaner. May go a week before I get to the sink.

And flush them thoroughly with WATER 💦

…. hold your ears, darlin. Here it comes!
I hear ya...I do the same with my guns after a day at the range... strip them and pile them right into the dish washer... easy clean! 🤣🤣🤣

I am so friggin kidding btw.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One never needs to clean with alcohol, though lots of folks seem to think it's a good cleaner.

You can avoid alcohol altogether, save time, money and booze by running a stream of very hot tap water into the chamber and out the stem. You can do this the instant you stop smoking, or days later when it's cold.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I didn't realize that all pipesmokers don't at least run a pipecleaner down their pipes after each smoke.
I don't consider that "cleaning", but I do.

I actually keep a pipe cleaner with me while smoking. I smoke most of my tobacco wetter now. I'll run the pipe cleaner once right about mid-way through a bowl. Then, when I finish and blow it out, I'll run the other end of the pipe cleaner through (usually the mid-smoke run only gets just the end of the cleaner wet by about the length of the shank).

If I say I am cleaning the pipe, all I am doing is dipping a brush and/or pipe cleaner in alcohol and running it through the stem and the shank. That's all I do for cleaning, and that only happens once every other week to once a month. But I also only smoke one, maybe two bowls a day.

Reactions: PaulRVA

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think there are any rules. Some like to let a pipe get a little funky. I like to get the clean up done, just to have it dry in a cleaned up state. I occasionally don't get it completely buffed up and scooped and toweled out, but that's what I usually do. I don't struggle for a perpetually new appearance, but I try to keep pipes appetizing.