Why Not Clean your Pipe After every Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
One never needs to clean with alcohol, though lots of folks seem to think it's a good cleaner.

You can avoid alcohol altogether, save time, money and booze by running a stream of very hot tap water into the chamber and out the stem. You can do this the instant you stop smoking, or days later when it's cold.
Pipe cleaner every time and only recently started wiping bowl out with a paper towel to slow cake growth. Ream as needed. If a pipe has clogged a bit I'll use very hot water dribbled into the bowl, let it sit a spell and then work on it with a shank brush and dig around the draft hole with a paper clip til it's cleared. Only when that doesn't do the trick-seldom-will resort to iso alcohol, which will make an even bigger mess in the sink than water.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I think this cleaning pipes is getting a little obsessional but as always a matter of personal preference. Daily might be appropriate if you are a heavy user of one pipe, I mean you wouldn't wear the same under pants or socks two days in a row? If you did you might wind up with quite the skid mark collection especially if you had an exotic diet or friends asking if you have been blowing smoke rings out of your arse. I clean my pipes once a week since I will smoke one or two meerschaums in the course of a day and then toss them in the bowl to be cleaned on Saturday. Cleaning for me involves soft pipe cleaners and the removal of the Philt pad and a gentle ream of the bowl and wipe with a damp rag.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
You need cake, if you have a sand pit inside your pipe it will burn out and give you hot spots and will wreck your pipe bowl, I know this from experience. puffy
Most burn out is smoking too hot. I have taken the time to prove that cake is not necessary. I had a commission that the first drilling revealed a pit that ran to the outside of the bowl. I decided to keep this pipe for myself and make a new one. It is one of many now that I smoke with no cake, showing that none of these pits cause burn out when smoked at a proper cadence. As a fun parlor trick, I can blow smoke through the pits while I am enjoying a bowl. YMMV.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Just a lot of foolishness to me to run water or whatever through a pipe. For me, they're fine with a good cleaning with a pipe nail and pipe cleaners.
Define “a good cleaning”

Running water removes rather than spreads debris around.

When the water runs clear and paper towel comes out clean and white rather than yellowish brown…

And you see what still comes out with a good rinse “after” using just pipe cleaners you may be surprised.

But… there’s no right or wrong here.

Some choose to build up a thick cake and enjoy their pipes that way.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
Agony? I load up a pipe, light it and enjoy as I start on the first pipe, some mindless TV show on (Packers' game if it's on.) and a beer or iced tea to enjoy. Makes for a passable afternoon. I usually only have three, maybe four, pipes to clean. Goes fairly quickly. And, no agony at all, particularly as I know I'll reap the rewards later in the week.
As a Packers fan since the Lombardi days, I hope the iced tea is for mindless tv shows and beer for the game. I’m old school and can’t imagine iced tea for games. Especially in December.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Most burn out is smoking too hot. I have taken the time to prove that cake is not necessary. I had a commission that the first drilling revealed a pit that ran to the outside of the bowl. I decided to keep this pipe for myself and make a new one. It is one of many now that I smoke with no cake, showing that none of these pits cause burn out when smoked at a proper cadence. As a fun parlor trick, I can blow smoke through the pits while I am enjoying a bowl. YMMV.
I have over 50 years of smoking a pipe, I don't smoke hot and I know that Briar is never perfect, learn about Briar.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As a Packers fan since the Lombardi days, I hope the iced tea is for mindless tv shows and beer for the game. I’m old school and can’t imagine iced tea for games. Especially in December.
I've been a Packers' fan a wee bit longer than that but, I'm not consumed by it. I'll look up from my chores or book of there is a rise in crowd noise indicating a replay but, only the final score matters and, not all that much. I'm no longer as much of a fan as I was back in the day. A win or a loss is simply a win or a loss. I'm a fan of the team but, so much of today's game.

Reactions: yanoJL

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have over 50 years of smoking a pipe, I don't smoke hot and I know that Briar is never perfect, learn about Briar.
Are you telling me to learn about briar? Thank you, but I do, every single day. I have made hundreds of pipes, sold thousands, and smoked hundreds. I am sorry if my opinion bothers you, but I am telling you that I explicitly smoke pipes with pits in the chamber and they do not burn out. My experience is that if you smoke slowly, pits will be fine.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and warren

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Are you telling me to learn about briar? Thank you, but I do, every single day. I have made hundreds of pipes, sold thousands, and smoked hundreds. I am sorry if my opinion bothers you, but I am telling you that I explicitly smoke pipes with pits in the chamber and they do not burn out. My experience is that if you smoke slowly, pits will be fine.
So you should know about burn outs and should know about pits inside a pipe bowl can cause hot spots and a possible burn out, happened to me recently and I mainly smoke flake and smoke very slow, this was on a new Peterson and the shop it was bought from replaced it with no argument and said that they have had this many times lately and they have reported it to Peterson. This was only the second time it has happened to me but friends in my pipe club have had it happen before. You must be very good at picking quality Briar so I commend you sir.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I clean after each smoke, once the pipe is cold, I clean it and wipe it with a rough paper napkin. I don't rinse the corn pipes with water, only with alcohol when it is a cleaning to erase some ghost. Sometimes yes, with hot water, to the few briar pipes that I have. It is a way to avoid a big cake in the future.

Reactions: yanoJL and KORNEY
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I wipe the bowl and run a pipe cleaner until it comes out clean. No alcohol or any deep cleaning. I just try to get any moisture or dottle remnants out.
Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time my pipes underwent a deep cleaning.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You could always just smoke them until they can't be smoked anymore, toss them then get a new one.

• Love
Reactions: didimauw