PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickg

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
Still trying to kick the nasty cigs. I may not be the first to realize that it's not just the nicotine, I get that from my pipe tobacco, It's the THROTE HIT. If I can kick that, I think I could be be well on my way.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
This is how I put them away.

I just told myself that I'm stronger than cigarettes.

And, planned to pick up the pipe again after 1 month of abstinence.

The first couple of weeks were rough, but I knew the reward of my pipe was coming.

That was January 2, 2008.

Hang tough my friend.

:puffy:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Quit the nails in 2000. I had to use medication to quit. The key is still just knowing you're ready and willing to be done with it.

Aug 14, 2012
I quit 18 years ago. The trick is to smoke one less cigarette a day until you get to zero. It isn't that hard if done that way. Whenever you crave a cigarette, light a pipe instead.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I'm using chantix right now as a kick start to dropping the nails. I'm at day four and the thought never crosses my mind.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
It will be the hardest thing you will ever do...get mentally prepared and do it.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
I know a nurse that I believe stopped a lifelong cig habit with what I think is the same as Waz is using ( Chantix)?? She says she never thinks about nail anymore, but I think it is an ongoing medication and a tad expensive, but it worked. Good luck. Just think of all the nasty chemicals in the nails.All that cig money could buy some nice pipes.

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
Every time you want a cigarette, smoke your pipe instead. If you want to stop inhaling, get yourself a

bowl full of strong english tobacco and take a nice deep inhale of that! You won't want to inhale anymore! :nana:

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I'll still smoke a cigarette every once in a blue moon, but pipe smoking takes care of my needs for the most part and I find it so much more pleasant than cigarettes.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I eventually managed to quit after years of trying by realising that i had to prepare.

First i had to really want to quit.

I then made sure i felt ready.

Then i removed everything that reminded me of smoking.

I avoided anything that caused me stress or irritated me and also avoided situations that made me crave, ie drinking, watching movies, pleasures of the flesh and i kept away from other people who smoked as much as possible.

I made everyone around me promise not to even talk about smoking or ask me how i was doing.

I kept myself busy as much as possible.

When i was feeling weak i looked on the internet for websites with other people struggling the same was i was.
I found the first 2-4 weeks very hard but once i got to the end of the 4th week i knew i had done it. It felt so good.

I treated myself to a tobacco pipe and some tobacco and here i am :D
Addicted to my new hobby but not the nicotine. :D

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
255574_432465520129840_876514881_n.jpg

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Waves to all, haven't been around since Adam was a boy because I've been giving up the Cigarillos & didn't want to read about anything nicotine related :) My dear friend Philip passed me regards on to all though, I do believe.
I just wanted to say, giving up cigarettes or cigarillos with Chantix as it's called in USA (Champix in AU & UK I believe) is the easiest thing in the world.
I was a dedicated, die hard nicotine addict who smoked 3 packs of x 25 B&H or Marlboro a day and then 2-3 x tins of Cafe Cremes a day. I can't describe how addicted I was suffice to say it ruled my life - I would NOT go to the movies, catch a plane or go any place where I could not smoke, it even prevented me from working in gainful employment because of being tied to desk without being able to leave when I needed one. If I started to get low on smokes I'd call a taxi to bring me a pack or 2 which would cost $40, I didn't give a damn, just wanted that nicotine or I'd surely die.
3rd time I've used Chantix, and without putting any effort in whatsoever, giving up was the easiest thing I've ever done and this time it's forever because I morally can't allow my Ex partner to spend $200++ a week on my stupid smoking. Instead of setting a 2 week start date my Doctors tell me just to keep smoking as much as I want, let the tablets do the work, so at about week 4 - 6 I simply don't want them anymore and gradually, despite the nasty little voices in the head screaming I must keep smoking, I find myself needing them less and less until it becomes a pita to light up.
Give them a go, I have no met a single person who's not been able to quit using them - they work even if you DO NOT want to give up - I sure as hell didn't WANT to give up, I HAD to give up just to do the right thing by someone else and that's not much of a motivation when you're as selfish as I am when it comes to nicotine :)
Pipes - I hope to one day be able to come back to my 100+ strong collection and smoke for the sheer enjoyment as opposed to nasty addiction but time will tell, right now I'm staying away from everything smoke related.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have quit cigarettes a few times over the years, the first time was after smoking for 30 years straight. I came out of the hospital because of bronchial problems, lit up and literally could not inhale. I was pissed, luckily I was also a cigar smoker so those took the place. About 6 years later, I am going through the proverbial divorce from hell and picked them up. Smoked again for another couple of years, then quit cold turkey again because of a woman. She didn't like it, and I liked her too much to give her up because of cigs. I broke up with her after a couple of years and picked them right back up until this past June. My kids were bugging me, I was smoking a pack and a half a day, so I picked up my pipes after a few year layoff, and quit again. This time I reduced from pack and a half to 15 a day then 10 then 5 then only a couple then none. It took about 2-3 weeks I think to gradually taper down. I still get an urge, but thank God for my pipes. It was kind of easy quitting with pipes because cigarettes taste like crap next to pipe tobacco.

What ever works is what you do to quit those nasty things. You will be very proud of yourself once you do. Now if I could only stop eating, I have gained about 15 pounds since I quit, but will be working on that shortly.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I quit cigarettes using snus and snuff.

Cigs are definitely hard to give up and I believe much more going on than nicotine addiction.

Today I have only had 2 bowls, no snuff or snus yet, and have been up since 5:30am.

I feel lucky because from the start I had no craving for cigs when I started snuff and snus.

I still feel that I am a nicotine addict but the hold of cigs were much worse.

Pipe smoking is a treat for me, I have always enjoyed smoking but did not enjoy too many aspects of cigarettes.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Without a doubt, I think cigarettes are likened unto heroin addiction, or so I've been told. A couple things I read several times. First, you have to want to stop. The psychological part comes first. It's just a mindset. I never could get that mindset. I like them and don't want to nor intend on quitting as I know it's a futile attempt for me...tried it too many times. I've tried everything from cold turkey to hypnotism to the patch and none of it helps. I was smoking with the patch on negating any effect is was "suppose" to have. It just wasn't giving me the thoracic orgasm I could get from weeds.
Some are as die hard as summer days are long including myself. Many years ago as a teenage I found myself in a situation where I couldn't get matches. I stood on the bed and tried to light it off the light overhead. Another case about 20 years aback was when an ice storm hit on a Friday afternoon and I barely made it home although it took hours instead of the usual 20 minutes. i discovered I only had half a dozen cigarettes left and once they were gone I started looking in the car, between seats on the couch and chairs (when I smoked inside)and found a few more. Then I started looking in the yard. All smoked by Saturday afternoon, I was about ready to smoke my socks. Now, this is how bad I was-I rolled up some newspaper, burned it in the sink, put out the fire and then inhaled the smoke! Now, that's addiction. I can attest to just how addictive they really are and as I've said a couple times before on this subject, I content there is something in cigarette tobacco not found elsewhere. R.J. Reynolds, the American Tobacco Company and Phillip-Morris all lied on TV when they said they weren't addictive.
I love my pipes and the tobacco but, I still smoke Marlboro Special Blend.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I used to smoke a pack and a half of Marlboros every day. (bad Navy habit.) Then in October '73 I said: "I'm not going to do this anymore." That was the end of it, and I haven't had one since. You really have to want to quit.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Absorbing nicotine through lung tissue is bad. But, you know that. It takes a lot of will power and patience to learn to absorb nicotine through the mouth tissue. But, it is possible. I recommend picking up the pipe evry time you desire to smoke, instead of the sticks. Don't even have sticks on hand. Try that for a month. It might work for you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
It should get easier for you as time passes, but like others have already said, you have to want it. Let your pipes be your crutch, you'll eventually get over the need to take that "hit".

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
I have a friend that picked up cigarettes after his semester in China. He's built it into his daily schedule and he "knows" smoking cigarettes is bad for him, but he's not all that willing to stop. I don't see him quitting anytime soon for that reason; he doesn't feel like quitting.
Break it out of your routine and feel like stopping, that is the best way.

Status
Not open for further replies.